cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III

Qlikview User Key

Hello, I have Googled this extensively but haven't managed to find an answer yet.

Our company has several current QV documents which are used by several different staff members by leasing the license from a Named CAL on our server.

However, as part of our contingency plans, we need to know which document belongs to which computer (i.e. which document can only be accessed by each computer, should we have issues with our Named CAL license).

Therefore, I'm hoping to find out:

1) How do we find out the user key for each document on our shared drive?

2) How do we find out which particular computer a user key relates to?

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Many thanks!

3 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Not really following what you are asking, there is no such thing as a user key or computer access unless you have changed the QMC settings to use 'machine name' instead of 'user name' option in the QVServer licensing area of the settings...  You may only use one of the two options you cannot/should not mix things per the Help:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/QMC/Content/QV_QMC/QMC_System_Licenses_Qli...

The license lease simply allows the developers to be able to open QVW files locally on their machines.  The Named CAL assignment is what also allows users to access QVW files via the QVServer and the AccessPoint.  What determines whether someone can see/open the files is the Authorization set on the QVW files and Section Access may also be in play as well, just FYI.  So again, there is nothing 'computer' related here, so that is why nobody has responded, as I am sure they were as confused as I am regarding your reference to this aspect of things.  Will need further clarification in order to try to provide a better answer.  

As far as DR environment etc., what you would want to do is be sure you keep the CalData.pgo file backed up somewhere such that the file can be moved over to the DR environment to avoid having to reassign/change any assigned CALs etc.  That file is the one that maintains all the CAL information.  Best I can offer with what you provided, please clarify further if you still need help.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for your reply Brett.

Will do my best to explain with my limited QV knowledge and slightly unusual QV set up at my work 😁

Basically, we solely use QV for analysing large datasets and producing PDF reports for our clients. Most of the QV docs that run the data were created by me over the last few years, on QV personal edition on my PC. 
However, I have changed PC at one time and I was also on maternity leave for a year and my temp replacement made some updates to the QV docs on her PC.

At the moment, where the doc was created is not an issue as both me and my colleague (who also runs these reports on QV) lease a license from the server to allow us access to all QV documents. 

However, as we are a (very) small not-for-profit company, we have decided that we need to end our support contract with QV.

My concern is that if something goes wrong with the server (which has happened in the past), we will not be able to lease the license to allow us to open all the QV documents on different machines. 
If this happens, the only way to access the QV document (from my understanding) would be to open it in the personal edition of QV on the computer it was created on (and from what I have read, this is where the user key comes in). 

What I need to know, is for each QV document we use, what computer was it created on. So if the worst happens, I can at least log on to a particular machine, and continue to run the report from there. 

I hope this makes a bit more sense - any help you can offer would be appreciated!

Jess

Or
MVP
MVP

I don't work for Qlik, but I think there's two aspects here:

1) Your licenses should keep working correctly regardless of whether you are under an active support contract.

2) Even if you are unable to lease a license, each file can be moved a fixed number of times under Personal edition. It would be my recommendation in this case to move ownership of all the files to a single computer and use that one to maintain them all (you can set up a machine and have everyone RDP to that machine when they want to maintain anything).

Keep in mind that anything which prevents you from leasing a license from the server will likely also prevent you from using the server to access documents, so in this context, you'd have to access the QVW on the computer it lives on, not using Open in Server or the web client.