Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Developper Software on a license server with Lef.txt file

Hi all,

I am working with QV on a server that has a valid license however the developper application seem to be running in Personal Edition mode. Few weeks back I copied the Lef.Txt in my own C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView path. It worked for a while and I was able to open documents. Now it complains "Your installation of QlikView has exceeded the maximum number of documents recoveries allowed for a Personal Edition...."

Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

If you have a valid Server license you likely have some valid User CALs to be assigned. The LEF.txt of the Server will not work in your computer. But you can configure your Server to lease those User CAL licenses so you can take one.

Go to the QlikView Enterprise Management Console, System, Licenses, QlikView Server, Client Access Licenses (CALs), click "Allow License Lease" and click Apply. Then in the same window go to the tab "Assigned CALs" and add a new user (the user you are logged in as in the domain) in the form DOMAIN\YOURUSERNAME, click on Assign CAL and Apply.

Now open QlikView Desktop, go to the Start Page (if you don't see it, go to Help, Show Start Page) and click on Open in Server. Set your QlikView server address or name in the dropdown list in the form qvp://yourservername and click on the Open button. You will be prompted for your account password.

If everything goes fine, your copy of QlikView Desktop will read "You are leasing a license from YOURSERVER" instead of "You are running QlikView Personal Edition", and you will be able to open documents again.

Hope all the above helps.

Miguel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

If you have a valid Server license you likely have some valid User CALs to be assigned. The LEF.txt of the Server will not work in your computer. But you can configure your Server to lease those User CAL licenses so you can take one.

Go to the QlikView Enterprise Management Console, System, Licenses, QlikView Server, Client Access Licenses (CALs), click "Allow License Lease" and click Apply. Then in the same window go to the tab "Assigned CALs" and add a new user (the user you are logged in as in the domain) in the form DOMAIN\YOURUSERNAME, click on Assign CAL and Apply.

Now open QlikView Desktop, go to the Start Page (if you don't see it, go to Help, Show Start Page) and click on Open in Server. Set your QlikView server address or name in the dropdown list in the form qvp://yourservername and click on the Open button. You will be prompted for your account password.

If everything goes fine, your copy of QlikView Desktop will read "You are leasing a license from YOURSERVER" instead of "You are running QlikView Personal Edition", and you will be able to open documents again.

Hope all the above helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel

Do you know if it's possible to apply one of these unused server CALs to your desktop, if the desktop client has no access to the network location where the server is located ?

A straight copy/paste of the LEF file does not work - presumably because it is in the format for a server license. Open in Server in the client designer doesn't work unless the server can be reached.

Effectively I am looking for a way of applying the 16 digit key and 5 digit control code manually to allow remote desktop development.

Kind Regards

Andrew.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Andrew,

As far as I know, that is not possible. You can try just in case, but the codes for Desktop (standalone) licenses and Server are different. Anyway, if you have a valid available license key, you can install QlikView Server in your computer, assign the license and then lease the license to your Desktop client from the server in your computer.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Many thanks - I will give this a go. Seems a shame not to be using one

of our many free CAL's !