Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator

Qlikview Client asking for License information

Dear Team -

The qlikview client installed on server keep prompting for license information every time i launch.

The user id (SP001) used to installed has all the privileges(full control) on the installation folder and its sub folders (including files). The service id is also a member of local admin group and qlikview administration group. This was working fine in the beginning but starting prompting for license info.

Installation directory is D:\Program Files\Qlikview

Any thought on this. 

Rgds,

Sean.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sean, Marcus' post covers things if you have an actual QlikView Local Client (QVLC) license, but I suspect in your case you may have been using the License Lease option, which borrows a license from the QVServer via the Named User CAL assigned to the user, but there is a limitation on the number of instances you can borrow, the default was two for quite some time, but I believe it was bumped up to four at some point in one of the 12 track releases to allow you to borrow/lease against that Named CAL etc.  If the lease has not been used in the last 24 hours, it is able to be moved to a different machine etc.  

For instance, say we are in situation of 2 allowed leases, but you have 3 Development servers upon which you work with the Desktop Client and you lease a license, you will be able to work from 2 of the servers, but when you try to work on  the 3rd one, you will run into the issue you are hitting in that case due to having already hit the max number of leases, but the following day, those leases would be eligible to be moved to a new server if they had not been renewed within the last 24 hours.

Here is an article regarding license leasing:

QlikView Desktop license leases 

That is about the best I have, hopefully between Marcus' post and this one, you have what you need, do not forget to circle back and mark the post that helped using the Accept as Solution button, or leave an update on what you still need...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

The licence information from the desktop client is stored within the settings.ini from the user. From the OS point of view it worked usually well - means that the access rights are properly set and that no OS services or any security tool overwrites it again and again (but in general that's a possibility).

More likely is that any another QlikView instance which is open at this time may overwrite it - this could for example happens if there are any QMC tasks are running which open the desktop client with an EXECUTE statement to perform any print/export jobs. The last one which is closing QlikView will win. AFAIK something similar could happens by using NPRINTING which also keeps a copy of the settings.ini and may overwrite it.

Therefore I suggest to look within the taskmanager if any instances of the qv.exe is running with this user and also to monitor the timestamps from the settings.ini - do they change if you close the tool and is it the same timestamp if you open the tool to another time?

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sean, Marcus' post covers things if you have an actual QlikView Local Client (QVLC) license, but I suspect in your case you may have been using the License Lease option, which borrows a license from the QVServer via the Named User CAL assigned to the user, but there is a limitation on the number of instances you can borrow, the default was two for quite some time, but I believe it was bumped up to four at some point in one of the 12 track releases to allow you to borrow/lease against that Named CAL etc.  If the lease has not been used in the last 24 hours, it is able to be moved to a different machine etc.  

For instance, say we are in situation of 2 allowed leases, but you have 3 Development servers upon which you work with the Desktop Client and you lease a license, you will be able to work from 2 of the servers, but when you try to work on  the 3rd one, you will run into the issue you are hitting in that case due to having already hit the max number of leases, but the following day, those leases would be eligible to be moved to a new server if they had not been renewed within the last 24 hours.

Here is an article regarding license leasing:

QlikView Desktop license leases 

That is about the best I have, hopefully between Marcus' post and this one, you have what you need, do not forget to circle back and mark the post that helped using the Accept as Solution button, or leave an update on what you still need...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

Brett - you are absolutely right. The actual license is being leased among 4 nodes (2 nodes for Prod and 2 nodes for DR) and 3 nodes work fine, 4 one gives trouble. However, when i open the QV Desktop client in 4th node, i have to use "open in server" form the file menu, to register the license to continue. 

I understood fully now.

Thanks Marcus and Brett.

Sean.