Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Possible to use Oracle /*+*/ hint in SQL SELECT

I have a user attempting to use a hint with Oracle like:

SELECT /*+full(a)*/ col1, col2 blah blah...

She reports the hint is not reaching the Oracle server. I suspect QV is stripping out the hint because it looks like a /* */ QV comment. Anyone else experienced this problem? Any workarounds?

Thanks,
-Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Set StripComments=0;

After your sql Please use Set StripComments=1;

If this variable is set to 0, stripping of /*..*/ and // comments in the script will be inhibited. Certain database drivers utilizing /*..*/ comments for defining hints in select statements may otherwise cause script errors. It is recommended that this variable be reset to 1 immediately after the statement(s) where it is needed. If this variable is not defined, stripping of comments will always be performed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable

Set StripComments=0;

After your sql Please use Set StripComments=1;

If this variable is set to 0, stripping of /*..*/ and // comments in the script will be inhibited. Certain database drivers utilizing /*..*/ comments for defining hints in select statements may otherwise cause script errors. It is recommended that this variable be reset to 1 immediately after the statement(s) where it is needed. If this variable is not defined, stripping of comments will always be performed.

mellerbeck
Creator II
Creator II

Completely necroing this thread but....

https://boristyukin.com/qlikview-and-oracle-database-tips-for-performance/

Normally Oracle query hints will be written using /*+ ... */syntax. One day I spent many hours trying to figure out why one of my queries took forever to finish if I ran it from QlikView and took only a minute if I ran it from Oracle SQL Developer. Turned out that QlikView by default would strip out comments from SQL statement and treat /*+ ... */ as a comment.

This "feature" is discussed here.

Solution is easy - just use --+ syntax instead if you need to pass a query hint. Of course it is a very easy thing to forget!