Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Multiple Metrics In One Chart?

Hello,

I am wondering if QlikView supports multiple metrics in one chart.

Attached image is precisely what I would like to replicate. 

It has three metrics in the Y axis (each with different scales), and X axis is date dimension.

The color represent another dimension (Channel), which shows the different lines within each chart.

This is from a competitor tool, and I thought it was pretty powerful.  Is this possible to replicate in QlikView?  If so, how do I go about building it?  Is there a sample layout that is very similar that someone could attached?

Summary

2 Demensions:

Date (x-axis)

Channel (different lines within each chart)

3 Metrics:

Bounce

Clicks

Orders

Your insight is appreciated! 

5 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

You can do two separate metrics on different Y axis using the Split Axis tick box on the Axis tab and assign one of the measures to the top Axis.  This works quite well.  I have seen the sort of output in your attachment done in QlikView by using transparency and hidden caption boxes to overlay multiple charts on top of each other.  However, this is not an ideal approach - mostly as you have to be 100% sure that your dimensions are identical on all the charts you are overlaying.

- Steve

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

This also looks a lot like a trellis chart, an option you can select on the Dimensions tab of some other chart types.  Unfortunately, trellis charts like to duplicate your axes.  I've not found a good way around that.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi John - would the problem with a Trellis for this requirement not be that a Trellis does one chart per dimension - rather than one chart per expression?  It could probably be done though by having a data island that included the dimension to be trellised and then reference that dimension in the expression - calculating a different value for each chart.

Regarding getting the scales the same could you not work out the maximum value for each dimension (using max and aggr) and then calculate the expressions as percentages of the maximum.  You would then need to hide the actual Y axis legends and label the Y axis yourself by using text in chart and the calculation already done to get the max.

This is all hypothetical and not something I have tried yet - but I think it proves the answer is that the chart shown is not an 'out of the box' QlikView one!

- Steve

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

If these metrics are expressions rather than dimensions, yes, it's easy to create a new dimension and then pick the expression based on that.  I'd probably just use a calculated dimension of valuelist('Orders','Clicks','Bounce Visits').  It also might be possible to set up the data so that you had a real dimension linked to the data directly so that you didn't have to pick an expression.

But the most visually-similar to what was requested would be multiple charts with axes carefully aligned.   I think I have an example of a fake Trellis chart like this somewhere...

I do, but it's using a dimension, isn't lining up the X axis, and looks like it was intended to appear as separate charts.  I guess that's what someone asked for.  I could come up with a new one for this requirement, but I don't want to bother unless these really ARE different expressions, and not just different values.  Because the table might look like this:

[Event Log]:
ID, Timestamp, Event
1,  9/1/11..., Click
2,  9/1/11..., Click
3,  9/1/11..., Order
4,  9/1/11..., Bounce Visit

Honestly, that's my guess for what the data might look like.  The chart looks based on the sort of data you'd get out of an event log.  Mind you, even if the data looks like that, a real Trellis might not be good enough, though I'd start there since it would be easier to maintain. 

So... if the data is set up like the above, and the expression is something like count(distinct ID), and it's acceptable to repeat the X-axis labels, then I'd say a Trellis chart is the out of the box solution.  If not, things get more complicated.

Not applicable
Author

Captain,

I dont know if you are still looking for a solution for this question but I think you could achieve this using V11 and a Grid Container, place the three charts into the container, set it to Grid on the Presentation tab, Hide the Dimensions Axis on the top two charts, use Ctrl + Shift to align the Y Axis.