Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Issue using a Text Object in Report (inline vs server generated)

I have created a text object that concatenates various field selections together in an attempt to create a dynamic report title.

These values are current selections:

The sample code is as follows:

GetFieldSelections(MARKET_GROUP_DESCRIPTION)&' ('&GetFieldSelections(INVOICING_COMPANY_CODE_DESC)&')'

As I select items (Market Group and Invoice Company), the text object is dynamically updated in my application (I can see this), and when I run the report the directly from the application, the text object is correct (it has the selections/title I'd expect)

The problem arose when I run the same report from the Server using the report generator.  I have optioned within the server  to "select the specific fields and values" and the report runs and emails with the correct "data" I expect for the selections made  HOWEVER the text object (which represents my dynamic title)  does not include the selections that were made ?  Its blank with the exception of the ( )...

I am at a loss on how to proceed.  I did attempt to create a bookmark with the field selections and run the report on the server using the bookmark option, and again the data is correct, but the text object (dynamic title) is missing the selections.

Any help or work arounds would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

It turns out than when you run the application in the publisher using a bookmark, that the publisher reduces the original data set to a refined (smaller data set) based on the bookmark selected.  In On line mode, a bookmark makes the selections, but leaves the dataset intact.  In the publisher it reduces it and effectively leaves the reduced dataset with NO selections.  The getfieldselections has noting to return because of this....

The work around knowing that the dataset is now reduced is that any fields that are left in the dataset are by default the ones that would have been selected, has a bookmark been applied on-line, so you can use the function:

concat([{set_expression}]  [ distinct ] [ total [<fld {, fld}>]] expression[, delimiter[, sort_weight]])

SO... concat(distinct myfield,',') is the same as getfieldselections(myfield,',') when you are working with a document that has been reduced by the publisher based on a bookmark or field filter placed against a field (or fields) as in my case "myfield" .

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Not applicable
Author

It turns out than when you run the application in the publisher using a bookmark, that the publisher reduces the original data set to a refined (smaller data set) based on the bookmark selected.  In On line mode, a bookmark makes the selections, but leaves the dataset intact.  In the publisher it reduces it and effectively leaves the reduced dataset with NO selections.  The getfieldselections has noting to return because of this....

The work around knowing that the dataset is now reduced is that any fields that are left in the dataset are by default the ones that would have been selected, has a bookmark been applied on-line, so you can use the function:

concat([{set_expression}]  [ distinct ] [ total [<fld {, fld}>]] expression[, delimiter[, sort_weight]])

SO... concat(distinct myfield,',') is the same as getfieldselections(myfield,',') when you are working with a document that has been reduced by the publisher based on a bookmark or field filter placed against a field (or fields) as in my case "myfield" .