Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NenadV
Creator
Creator

Is there a simpler and faster way to transform dates stored as integers to dates?

After one acquisition I've realized that dates in source SQL tables is, for unknown reason to me, stored as integer using this strange format.

For exmple: 1240305 -->2024-03-05 (YYYY-MM-DD)

I've found a  way:

tmpInvoices:

load *,

date(date#(tmpInvDate, 'YYYY-MM-DD')) as InvDate;

sql select cast(concat('20', substring(ltrim(str(DTIN65)),2,2), substring(ltrim(str(DTIN65)),4,2),right(ltrim(str(DTIN65)),2)) as date) tmpInvDate

from Invoices;

but some times, again for unknow reason to me it ends with this error message:

Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Such logic could be easily adjusted, like:

date(date#(1240307 + 19000000, 'YYYYMMDD'))

View solution in original post

8 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

NenadV
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks David. I did it now, but as expected it doesn't work well because of this strange and illogical field type used (int instead of date)

You have maybe overseen the example I gave.

Original and unexpected value stored in the table is 1240305 an it should be transformed to 2024-03-05 (YYYY-MM-DD).

marcus_sommer

Especially if you applies a preceding load to transform data you don't need to apply any transformation within the sql - just pull the data purely and then adjust them in Qlik.

NenadV
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Marcus. that was the original question "Is there  a simpler way to transform those values stored as integers to dates?"

marcus_sommer

As far as the origin data have a common date structure they could be converted per date#(). It might be necessary to adjust the interpretation variables for it respectively to apply a changed version but in most cases it's not necessary and you may directly use:

date(date#(240305, 'YYMMDD'))

If there are various types of dates it might be wrapped by an alt() function to apply multiple different conversions.

NenadV
Creator
Creator
Author

124 in 1240307 might be a year if that ERP system uses a RDBMS where 1.1.1900 is the first year.

In that case, 1900 +124 = 2024 and then maybe there is a simpler and faster way.

If not, I would dare to state there is no simpler way to the one I have come up to.

Thank you

marcus_sommer

Such logic could be easily adjusted, like:

date(date#(1240307 + 19000000, 'YYYYMMDD'))

NenadV
Creator
Creator
Author

Brilliant! Thank you Marcus.