Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to merge selected sheets from two different QVW files into one?

Hi ,

My colleague and I are working on a dashboard with multiple sheet. So we split our work into two. Now we want to merge certain sheets alone from the two qvw files into one single qvw file. We both have the same souce files. I tried Ctrl+A,Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Doesn't work as the qvw files have lots of hidden objects. I looked up few discussions in the forums about this. People were suggestion about "Export Document Layout" in the File menu. But i'm not able to find that option at all.

These are the only options I see in the file menu under Export.

eg.png

I tried Documet layout. It exports around 1000 xml files. It doesnt work.

Now How to merge selected sheets from two different QVW files into one?

9 Replies
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Just copy the objects in the one  by selecting >>right click >>>copy object

shawn-qv
Creator
Creator

Easiest way would be Select All (Ctrl+A), Copy & Paste.

NOTE: To ensure you're selecting all objects (including the hidden ones), make sure you check the following security settings:

1. Check the "Copy/Clone Sheet Objects" option under Sheet Properties -> Security
  2. Check the "Show All Sheets and Objects" option under Document Properties -> Security.
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Enter Shift-Ctrl-s before the Ctrl-A to unhide all objects. Don't forget to issue Shift-Ctrl-s again to toggle it back.

-Rob

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

We can't copy sheet from one QVW to another QVW but we can copy objects as per suggested by Rob, Sujeet and Shawn...

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

You can merge the changes using .prj folder. It converts everything of qlikview layout into XML files. and then you can merge both the changes. This is called Versioning.

Have a look at Updated Guide to QlikView and Source Control (TFS & Subversion)

Thanks,

Angad

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Angad,

Personally I would be a bit wary of using that approach.  For example, if you managed to copy the objects across by merging the right XML but didn't copy the Sheet across that those objects sat on could it not cause issues?

The prj folder is great for working out what has changed between two different versions of a QVW, and also essential for versioning.  Using it outside of what it has been intended for may be a touch dangerous?

Does anyone routinely use the XML files for managing documents in this way?

Not applicable
Author

You are right Steve, this process if not used carefully can cause issues.

We need to actually try this on sample apps to get hold of it and then try in real time. We also need to keep in mind the unique numbers for each sheet or object created.

I used this approach, and at first time, Yes it caused me issues. But the second time, I kept the sheet number(SH200) customized and as well as object numbers. And then merged it. That was the only issue i faced so far.

But I would surely like to know, how can we otherwise, merge the work done by 2 developers in one QVW?

Thanks,

Angad

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If two developers are starting from the same QVW file then all the sheets will have the same name and the merge should be reasonably straight forward.  Here the project folder is your friend.

If you have two QVW files that have be created independently then there will be more issues with things not matching up between documents.  Also, if you end up with two objects both called CH002 because that chart number existed in both documents you will have problems.

When you use source code control in QlikView you will find all the object names are much longer - so when objects are checked in and merged then there are no clashes.  Tortoise/SVN as a plugin works great for this - but you have to be quite structured in your teams approach to development.

For the majority of the time moving objects between different apps copy/paste is safest and quickest approach.

- Steve

Not applicable
Author

Nice info Steve. SVN is great tool for version control.