Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I create a simple date scatter chart?

Hello, I am new to BI world and QlickView. I have a basic table of Tasks and their respective Due Dates. I want to display a scatter chart to plot the "densities" of tasks with upcoming due dates (in 3 month intervals starting Now).

I want the Dimension(s) to be.....[this is where I am stuck]
I want the X axis to be time in 3 month increments (ex. 3Mos, 6Mos, 9Mos, 12Mos)
I want the Y axis to be......[this is where I am also stuck but I am guessing this would be days from 1-31]

So essentially the chart would show me dots as far out as 12 months from now based on Due Date. Can anybody give me some tips on how to accomplish this and how to configure the chart wizard?

Thanks
Steve

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Steve,
I doubt that the scatter chart is what you need.
Scatter charts (no matter QV or not) is useful to show correlation between two measures. For example, you want to see correlation between people's height and weight - one axes is height another weight (both are expressions), and person id or name is dimension.
Try to put on paper what you want to see, I'm sure you'll come up with a more appropriate chart type.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Steve,
I doubt that the scatter chart is what you need.
Scatter charts (no matter QV or not) is useful to show correlation between two measures. For example, you want to see correlation between people's height and weight - one axes is height another weight (both are expressions), and person id or name is dimension.
Try to put on paper what you want to see, I'm sure you'll come up with a more appropriate chart type.

Not applicable
Author

I would use a gantt chart for what you are trying to accomplish. Do you have a start date for each task? If so use that and the due date to calc how many days it is going to take to complete. If not just use today as the start date. I would calculate this on the script side.

Chart: Pick Bar and set the orientation to horizontal

Dimension: Task Name
Expression: count of days to complete

Then in the expression click the little plus sign and click bar offset
set that to the start date.

Then for the number tab select your expression and set it to date with MMM-YY as the format

Hope that helps.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, I was GOING to explain that you shouldn't use a scatter chart for this. But since two other people already have, and since I've already built my example (see attached, though it isn't exactly what you're asking for), I'll play devil's advocate and explain why you SHOULD use a scatter chart. 🙂

Scatter charts CAN be good for noticing patterns that other types of graphs simply obscure, even when those patterns are not correlations between two variables.

Lets say we have a LARGE number of tasks, like 5000 of them. We want to see if there is a pattern to when they're due, like more tasks coming due towards the end of the month, for instance. We COULD create a scatter chart, one dot for each task, the due date along the bottom plus a random time to keep the dots from overlapping, and a meaningless random number along the Y axis to again prevent our dots from completely overlapping. Now we can clearly see our end of month pattern as rough stripes in our data. We'll probably see mostly white space on weekends. It might not be immediately clear what these patterns are, but we'll see that there are patterns.

In this case, it might be better to do it with a line chart, as detecting the pattern in the height of the line is as easy or easier. But with both of them sitting on top of each other, my eye seems to comprehend the scatter chart on a primal level faster. Line height has to be interpreted - OK, the higher the line, the larger the number of tasks due on that date, so peaks in the line correspond to clusters of tasks. Actually seeing those clusters is, for me at least, understood just that much faster.

OK, yes, I might not do it here. But I HAVE done it several live applications. In one case, we were interested in aged inventory per inventory location. The Y axis is the inventory location, given a numeric value, and randomly positioned within its "row". The X axis is the date and time that the item entered that inventory location. So in the image below, the further to the left the dot is, the longer it has been sitting in inventory. The orange dot is our target - we want to move material before it gets this old. There is a lot of obvious clustering in just this small sample of the data. And you can drag a box around a cluster of interest, and then see all of the details on other tabs, down to item IDs, hold codes, and that sort of thing. I could think of no better way to easily spot and then drill down to clusters of likely-related aged inventory.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for your insight and expertise. I think I have what I need now. -toodles

Not applicable
Author

does anyone know what you could do to configure the graphs to have date on y-axis for each task?

please see my post below im awaiting help with

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/42283.aspx