Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlighting the dimension Values in line chart

Can something like this be done in Qlikview , the below chart highlights the Service API values in the line chart when a user clicks on one of the API 's.. I don't see we can have 2 dimensions(Date and API's) in qlikview right?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It will give you separate lines for TP99 and SLA_TP99. You've turned that into part of your dimension, then used the value of the dimension to determine which expression you're trying to plot. See the attached. In it, I also assigned RGB values to the APIs, then used different transparencies of that color to indicate whether it was for TP99 or SLA_TP99, so the relationship between the two is clear. And if you select a group, you'll only see APIs in that group. In the attached, I'm using the first approach I showed for highlighting - just using the QlikView default highlighting on mouse over. You could also use the second approach I showed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

You can absolutely have two dimensions in a line chart, and QlikView by default will highlight the line if you mouse over the API in the legend or the line itself. Have I misunderstood the question?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can use two dimensions, QV will use the first dimension to define the x-axis,  and the second dimension to create a line per dimension value. Just like shown in your image.

If you want to create a highlighting effect, you would need to use set analysis to ignore the selection (which will limit the dimension values by default) and use a background color attribute expression for the coloring. I think there is an example in the What's New in QV11 sample QVW or search for 'brushing' here in the forum.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Ah, well, if it's really supposed to be on selection of the API, not just on mouseover, then as swuehl‌ says, set analysis to ignore the selection, and in my example, I used a line style expression to set the width as opposed to changing the color.

sum({<API=>} Value)

=if(len(trim(API)),'<W2.5>')

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ok , I think I have to rephrase my question , sorry about that , I have 2 expressions . 2 expressions and 2 dimensions possible ? so below is my chart , I want to include a legend here , which would be the 2nd dimension

Here is how my data is pretty simple:

I have a "Group" and it has its associated "Service API" , in the below chart I am counting the issues . So when I select a Group from the filter , all the associated Service API should appear in the legend of this chart , and I should be able to select or highlight one of the API from the legend.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I still don't understand. Can you post an example application? Or the fields and the two expressions?

It sounds like group vs. API looks something like this:

Group, API
X, A
X, B
Y, C
Y, D
Y, E

But if so, if date was your first dimension and API your second, selecting the group would automatically show the associated APIs in the legend of the chart. Perhaps I've understood that much correctly. But if so, I have no understanding of what your two expressions are.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Attached my App.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Thanks. All right. Hopefully I understand now. Right, you can't have both two dimensions and two expressions, so I see what you're saying there. So we're trying to work our way around that limitation. I can't reload so I can't do this, but in script:

[Metrics]:
LOAD * INLINE [
Metric
TP99
SLA_TP99
];

You could create a field that's a combination of Function and Metric, but you could also use a calculated dimension in the chart instead. Also just a single expression.

calculated dimension =Function & ' - ' & Metric
expression = if(Metric='TP99',sum({<ServiceTimeSeries.Date=>} TP99),sum({<ServiceTimeSeries.Date=>} SLA_TP99))

Then highlight per previous examples. One way to handle it, anyway. There may be a better way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So with this I cant to 2 lines for each right ? I mean for TP99 and SLA_TP99 separate lines ?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

It will give you separate lines for TP99 and SLA_TP99. You've turned that into part of your dimension, then used the value of the dimension to determine which expression you're trying to plot. See the attached. In it, I also assigned RGB values to the APIs, then used different transparencies of that color to indicate whether it was for TP99 or SLA_TP99, so the relationship between the two is clear. And if you select a group, you'll only see APIs in that group. In the attached, I'm using the first approach I showed for highlighting - just using the QlikView default highlighting on mouse over. You could also use the second approach I showed.