Skip to main content
Announcements
Announcing Qlik Talend® Cloud and Qlik Answers™ to accelerate AI adoption! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbowlesdwf
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Geocoding with QlikView and Google Maps

I've recently had cause to dust off an application I built several years ago to extract geocodes (longitude and latitude) from address data. The application uses the Google Maps API to take a list of addresses or postcodes and return the relevant coordinates, which you can then output to CSV or Excel. I haven't seen a recent version of the API code on Qlikcommunity recently so I thought I'd share mine.

Step-by-step guide

All these instructions can also be found on the home screen of the QlikView app.

1. Open the attached file in QlikView desktop (note that you will need a licence)
  2. Obtain a key for the Google API More details can be found here: https://developers.google.com/maps/faq?csw=1#using-google-maps-apis. Paste your key into the box
  3. Create a single column CSV file with the column header "Address" listing all your address or postcode strings Type the name of this file into the relevant box
  4. Run the reload script whilst connected to the internet
  5. The results can be found on the "Data" tab, where you can export them to Excel or CSV

Note that each Google account has a daily limit for the number of requests it can submit (circa 5,000), so you may need to run the query in batches to get all your addresses.

3 Replies
Not applicable

Hello Mark,

can you please advise if this can be done for Qlik Sense?

I can get geocodes from Google using Python (geocoder is excellent library) or Qlik REST connector.

But your example is the perfect in terms what I want to achieve - I have Excel list with approx. geo names, then upload it and have lng and ltd for each of them from Google directly in Qlik sense.

Thanks,

Slava.

vyacheslavg
Contributor III
Contributor III

Never mind, was able to re-create it in the Qlik Sense.

It was easy, vFile should be the full path to  csv file with addresses.

vKey is the Google Maps API key.

alan_richmond
Creator
Creator

Nice work Mark

works fine for me

Regards,

Alan