Announcements
Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression issue with if statement

Does anyone know what could cause the following?

This expression returns 0 UNLESS I apply rtrim() to the field in the script.

sum(if([Segment 1]='700400', [Credit Amount]+[Debit Amount]))

This function returns the correct value if the charts dimension is set to [Segment 1]

if([Segment 1]='700400', sum([Credit Amount]+[Debit Amount]))

This makes absolutely no sense to me. And Yes I have checked, without Rtrim applied the values in [Segment 1] contain no leading or trailing spaces, and I do have Verbatim set=1 And the field is formated at Text.

4 Replies
MayilVahanan

HI

Please check like this

Len() function and note that the length of segment1 by using rtrim and without rtrim function

Hope it helps to find the difference.

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

Both return result of 6. I also forgot to mention that the first expression will also return the correct value if I select the value 700400 in [Segment 1].

Also the following works for all situations, I just need to know the reason before I go and start changing things, as thing may be more widespread than I am aware.

sum({<[Segment 1]={'700400'}>}[Credit Amount]+[Debit Amount])

MayilVahanan

HI

Set Analysis gives better performance when compare to if statement.  so you can go with set analysis. Like this

sum({<[Segment 1]={'700400'}>}[Credit Amount]+[Debit Amount]).

Always prefer set analysis, mostly try to avoid if statement.

Suppose, i misunderstand your question means, sorry for that

Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

Yeah, I know it works, and that it is usualy better. I also usually go for set analysis, but this statment was before I new it well enough to be comfortable.

I am more concerned with the why due to other issues I may not think of, spread across 12 daswhboards with hundreds of possible expressions.