Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Entering a dimension in expression tab for a Scatter chart.

Hi everyone,

How do I and/or  how can I insert a dimension in the expression tab for a scatter chart.

I am trying to create a scatter chart with an Y-axis expression (e.g. sum(Sales)) and an X-axis dimension (e.g. Product) with a further dimension (e.g. OrderID).

The goal is to show for each product (on X-axis), one bubble/dot per row in the transaction DB table (hence multiple bubbles/dots sequenced vertically) and on the Y-axis the corresponding sales value for each transaction/bubble.

I don't want to do any pre-aggregations in the script, as chart needs to be fully dynamic.

Many thanks for all and any help/assistance.

Kind regards,

Cheenu

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

hi,

What i understand from your question is to provide calculated expression for scatter chart.

In scatter chart --> Expression tab having a checkbox "Advance Mode" . Click on it then you can give your required expressions.

Sorry if i'm wrong in understanding.

Regards,

Venkat

Not applicable
Author

Hi Venkatveer,

Y-axis is defined as sum(Sales), i.e. an expression and X-axis is Product sold. On each Product name sold, there must be one bubble/dot for each (/one) transaction in the DB table. Hence, multiple dots must be in a vertical row representing each transaction and its associated sales value.

Hence, this object must look like a scatter or grid chart, but one (X-) axis is a dimension and one (Y-axis) is based on an expression. Therefore, is doesn't really fall in the category of a pure grid or scatter chart, it's a combo of both of these.

The point is to show the spread of sales values of each given transaction, per product.

Hope this clarifies. The advanced mode just gives me a "help tool" for building  a scatter or grid. I need a combo of both, i.e. a neat trick QlikView designer trick to do this. I seriously doubt there is just a tick box to achieve this or is there?

Kr

Cheenu

Not applicable
Author

You could do something like

rowno() or transactionID as dimension...

sum(Sales) on Y axis

For X axis, you'd want to create a mapping of Product to a numeric field.  Something like:

dual(Product, applymap('ProductToNumber',Product) as Product.

Then you can add Product as the X axis for the scatter chart.

Ofcourse, you'll have to create the mapping from product to numeric value (probably an integer).

Also, Qlikview will want to display the numeric value instead of the product name on the X axis, so you'd have to use text boxes as labels overlaying the chart...

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ismolov,

Thank you for the suggestion, however, the Product list is way too long (and will change frequently in the future) in order to make it manageable and sustainable to have a mapping table. I thought of using autonum function in lieu of applymap.

However, I found the proper setup for my question and it was honestly too simple to warrant an independent post on the discussion board. So thank you (and venakataveer) for reply to my query.

For anyone else that might have this "issue", the resolution just needs a calculated dim, such as:

Dim tab, in sequential order:

1st dim is X-axis (e.g. Product)

2nd dim is Y-axis, calc dim: aggr(Expression, Dim1, Dim3)

3rd Dim is individual bubbles (e.g. OrderID)

Expression tab contains just Expression as given in 2nd dim above.

Style tab: top left hand button (equal size bubbles).

ONE LAST QUESTION: This chart type puts all the X-axis dimension value horizontally. I can't find a way of putting the values vertically or diagonally. Is this possible/feasible, as no radio button available in the Axes tab.

Many thanks for help.

Kr

Cheenu