Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raju_salmon
Creator II
Creator II

Document open call failed

Hi Experts,

For few qlikview documents we are getting an error "Document failed to open". This error is not getting for only specific documents. It is coming randomly. After failing the task if I run it manually then it is completing successfully. As the server have more number of tasks, we are getting this error frequently. I have gone through old threats and tried all suggested methods. But nothing worked out. I'm unable to find out the exact problem. Can anyone please help me to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Raju

6 Replies
raju_salmon
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi,

Can anyone please help me on this?

Regards,

Raju

Vegar
MVP
MVP

As it is appearing randomly my guess is that the problem lies within your QlikView environment and is not directly caused by the anatomy of the application.

Can you identify any kind of pattern when your error occur? Time of day? Day of month? When multiple jobs are executed spontaneously?

Have you been looking at your QlikView environment log files? Maybe they can point you to the right direction?

The first thing I would do bring presented to this environment would be to monitor RAM, CPU and Disk usage. I've several times run into similar behaviour when the server is about to run out of disk space.

Josh_Berg_Support

Raju,

What kind of storage are you using for your root folder?  Is it local, SAN, NAS, DFS, etc.?  The speed of the storage you use will have a profound effect on the performance and stability of Qlikview.  I would take a look at the disk response time of the storage location serving the QVW to QDS, we need it to be below 200ms.  Have you taken a look at the resources available on your QDS and QVS nodes during the time the task fails, are there issues there?

Thanks,
Josh

Qlik Support

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
raju_salmon
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately i am new to Admin activities and most of the things from your response are new and not sure from where to check them.

I have implemented one solution like changing below field value to 5 from 20 and it worked fine but parallel running jobs are also decreased to 5 so i has to change back to 20.

Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution:

Could you help me providing more details where to check all suggested points.

Regards,

Raju

Josh_Berg_Support

Raju,

The questions I asked need to be checked by your system administrator, they should know what type of storage you're using in your Qlikview environment, they should also be able to get the disk response time when this issue is occurring to see if it's >200ms.

The value you changed "Max number of simultaneous Qlikview engines for distribution" refers to the number of reload engines available to Qlikview which equates to how many concurrent tasks you can run. The default value for this is 4 and we would only recommend changing after reviewing the following article:

https://support.qlik.com/articles/000026361

Thanks,
Josh
Qlik Support
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Raju, so the key thing Josh was trying to get across here is if you are going to increase the number of engines for distribution, that will require an increase in the Desktop Heap Space Registry setting as well in order to be able to handle those additional QVB engines...

The only additional question I was going to ask here is whether the save failure was on the reload portion of the task or the distribution side of things, so if you are still seeing the issue, if you can answer that, I can likely give you a few more suggestions here.

You are also definitely going to want to get signed up for the System Administrators course, here is a link to the education site where you can check that out, the base knowledge you gather from that course will really help you with managing the environment.

https://www.qlik.com/us/services/training/qlikview-training

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.