cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

Date convert - without Alt function

How to convert the Date column to DATE format.

I tried the below code but format function Date# is not working for second record.

Please advise.

Data:

load * ,DATE(DATE#(Date#(Date,'YYYY/DD/MM'),'YYYY/MM/DD')) AS NEW_DATE;

load * inline [

Sno,Date

1,2010/31/01

2,2011/02/28

];

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

I guess it would not take much of your time - to check if that works or not. Just try yourself  like:

Data:

load * ,DATE(If( Isnum(Date#(Date,'YYYY/DD/MM')),Date#(Date,'YYYY/DD/MM'),DATE#(Date,'YYYY/MM/DD'))) AS NEW_DATE;

load * inline [

Sno,Date

1,2010/31/01

2,2011/02/28

];

Did it work? Please let know.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

What do you want to achieve?

What would be the criteria to differentiate, whether the record is in format YYYY/DD/MM or in format YYYY/MM/DD?

The only chance (but not failproof) would be to identify a Daynumber > 12, but this will not help with entries like 2017/03/04.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

May be this?

Data:

LOAD Sno, Date, Alt(Date(Date#(Date,'YYYY/MM/DD'),'YYYY/MM/DD'), Date(Date#(Date,'YYYY/DD/MM'),'YYYY/MM/DD')) as NEW_DATE;

load * inline [

Sno,Date

1,2010/31/01

2,2011/02/28

];

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II
Author

2010/31/01 and 2011/02/28 are two dates with different formats. I want to correct this data issue without using Alt function to valid date format.

Hope, I explained the issue clearly.

qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II
Author

Hi loveisfail

I want to check the solution without using Alt function.

prieper
Master II
Master II

.... and how do you think a differentiation can be made?

Anil_Babu_Samineni

I don't think so Can i know the reason to avoid the Alt() function. We can achieve by help of two inner joins. But, I don't recommend to use that. How we know till how many dates are there. I would always go for Alt() only this case

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II
Author

I agree with you

prieper
Master II
Master II

You may think about a solution like

MAKEDATE(LEFT(MyDate, 4), IF(MID(MyDate, 6,2) > 12, RIGHT(MyDate, 2), MID(MyDate, 6, 2), IF(MID(MyDate, 6, 2) > 12, MID(MyDate, 6, 2), RIGHT(MyDate, 2))  AS NewDate

However, the question remains, what makes you sure to read entries like 2017/03/04 in the correct way?

hemanthaanichet
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Arjun,

I think  using alt is the finest way of converting diff date formats into single format

Data:

LOAD Sno, Date, Date(Alt(Date#(Date,'YYYY/MM/DD'), Date#(Date,'YYYY/DD/MM'))) as NEW_DATE;

load * inline [

Sno,Date

1,2010/31/01

2,2011/02/28

];