Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Database Connection Issue

Hi All!

This time, im consulting about database connections.

Lets suppose that i have an application that use some odbc or oledb connection to a database and i run the refresh of this application on a bat file.

Sometimes, some refresh freeze on the load in the connection time. So, sometimes, the procces remains paused because the connection was not successfull.

The problem its that, i cannot permit that those procces keeps stopped because other procces must run.

So, the question is, theres any way to check if some procces have some connection problem and stop it?

Thanks for all!

Germán

17 Replies
rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Germán,

maybe you can look for vendor specific time out parameters in the ODBC/OLEDB dialog to shorten the freeze time and then catch the script error:

set ErrorMode=0;

CONNECT ...;

if ScriptError > 1 then

//no connect, do something else...

end if

set ErrorMode=1;

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ralf

Thanks for your answer but the problem is in the coonection line.

When you cannot connect, the script doesnt go on. So, i cannot enter into the If clausule to check if error...

There`s any workaround like timeout or something?

Thanks!!!

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Which database vendor and which ODBC driver you're using?

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

In fact its an ODBC connection to a Visual FoxPro file. (a dbf file)

I Know... its old... but...  theres some systems that still hav e this kind of information sources...

Thanks

rbecher
MVP
MVP

MS says VFPODBC driver is no longer supported, you should use OLE DB:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/vfoxpro/bb190233.aspx

Btw. can you send me a VFP test file to do some research on this?

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
rbecher
MVP
MVP

I did an example with OLE DB on a local Visual FoxPro file. It gets no error on the Connect if the file is not there (can not connected) but if you make a select. This can be catched as followed:

// connect

OLEDB CONNECT32 TO [Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL FOXPRO OLE DB PROVIDER\SAMPLES\NORTHWIND;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties="";User ID="";Mask Password=False;Cache Authentication=False;Encrypt Password=False;Collating Sequence=MACHINE;DSN="";DELETED=True;CODEPAGE=1252;MVCOUNT=16384;ENGINEBEHAVIOR=90;TABLEVALIDATE=3;REFRESH=5;VARCHARMAPPING=False;ANSI=True;REPROCESS=5];

set ErrorMode=0;

// select

customers:

SQL SELECT *

FROM customers;

// error handling if not connected

if IsNull(NoOfRows('customers')) then

trace not connected;

exit script;

end if

// else further script execution

set ErrorMode=1;

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

the cut into the connection its in the oledb string, or not?

Thats why you dont get stoped?

rbecher
MVP
MVP

What you mean with "the cut into the connection"?

At least the folder of the Data Source must exist. If it not exist the OLE DB Provider will open a dialog.

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

I undertud.

The problem its that when the connection call its launched, sometimes doesnt return any feedback.

The folder exist, the file exist, but the connection doesnt returns anything...

Thats why i need to stop the procces if the connection its freeze...

Thanks