Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mishraamit2485
Creator
Creator

Creation of link table from two dimension table

Hi Experts,

I have one question I have to two dimension table(Product and Region) and another dimension table lets say XYZ.

One Fact Table: Fact

Attributes of Tables:

Product table: Product Category, Business group Name..etc

Region: Region, Country..etc

XYZ: Region, Product Category, Date1, Date 2

Fact Table: Country,Product Category, some other attributes (Region is not there)

Currently my association is like

Product-------->Fact<----------Region---------->XYZ

Now i have to break my association Region------->XYZ and come up with one key(Prod Category(From Prod table) and Region(From Region) than join with XYZ.

Can I use link table for this scenario because i think we need to have one fact table for link table.

Or you guys can suggest me some other more efficient way apart from link table.

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Can you tell us what table XYZ is needed for?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Why you need link table is it mandatory ?

Not applicable

Hi Amit,

You can join the 3 dimension tables and create a single dimension table based on the keys .

Like :

Region and XYZ on regionID and XYZ and Product on ProductCategoryID.

Then you will have only one dimension table and one fact table and your data model also becomes simple.

Regards,

Snehal

mishraamit2485
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Wassenaar.

My requirement is something like.

I have one XLS which has 4 columns 1 Region 1 Product and one from Fact and one msg i need to create one key using these three columns and display the note...so thing is based on my selection on my dashboard region+product+3rd column it will pops up the message, e.g.when user clicks on region 1 + Product 1 + 3rd Col(Lets say A) then pops up msg HI, if user clicks on Region 2 + Product 2 + 3rd Col(LEts say B) pops msg bye.

I have 3 Data values in Region , 2 in Product and 2 in 3rd col...

Problem is one region is coming from geo table prod is from prod and 3rd is from fact..and all the three from xls how can i create a key by joining 3 columns (reg+Prod+3rd Col)

mishraamit2485
Creator
Creator
Author

Sujeet,

Requirement is something like.

My dashboard join is something like Region--->(joined using country) Fact<------(joined using some col)Product...now based on the selection i have to show one msg(that msg will come from XLS).Region has 3 distinct data values and product has 2. Third column(lets say Test) of fact has two distinct data values.I have all these three columns + msg text column in my XLS, Now I have to join that xls columns to my data model by making a key column using those three column(Region+ Prod+ Test) and put in my data model. It should popup a message on certain selection.

Note: Fact<-------Product join is on different column its not the same which I have in XLS.