Qlik Announces Qlik Talend Cloud and Qlik Answers: LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

A qvs file (txt) is INCLUDEd - but only halfway??

Hi,

for a while now I've been struggling with a mysterious problem: I wanted to introduce a LOAD of an additional table from our database - so I tested that first and when I saw that it worked, I included it into our primary data_load_script - where it failed.

After some trial-and-error, I have traced the issue to the fact that one of my qvs files - in which I have the complete hard-coded paths to the qvd files - is only INCLUDEd to about 2/3 - some of the SET commands in there are not executed and the variables not created - so the LOAD can of course not succeed.

The strangest part is: I have tested this - on a copy of that same load_script - where the exact same qvs file is INCLUDEd, so it obviously worked for my testing_file ...

Can you guess what could be causing this?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi swuehl,

you're right. I just tried - and I think I have both identified and solved the problem now:

It was due to QlikView's attitude of not resetting variables to NULL when an app is closed, I didn't notice that the INCLUDE was actually not executed at all - so all the path_variables that were already present from an earlier execution of the same INCLUDE were there while all the new ones were not.

That's where small tools like Notepad++ come in quite handy by letting you compare two txt files side by side 😉

Best regards,

DataNibbler

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

We probably can guess, but it would definitely help if you could provide some more informations, e.g. about the differences between the two QVW that include this qvs script. A sample QVW might also help, as always.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi swuehl,

you're right. I just tried - and I think I have both identified and solved the problem now:

It was due to QlikView's attitude of not resetting variables to NULL when an app is closed, I didn't notice that the INCLUDE was actually not executed at all - so all the path_variables that were already present from an earlier execution of the same INCLUDE were there while all the new ones were not.

That's where small tools like Notepad++ come in quite handy by letting you compare two txt files side by side 😉

Best regards,

DataNibbler