Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Catallin
Contributor II
Contributor II

Failed to open file in write mode error, qvs.exe is constantly accesing the file

I receive an 'Failed to open file in write mode' error when storing a qvd file from a task in the qms.

This task has worked properly for years and a few days ago I started getting this error.

I checked what process accesses the qvd using process monitor and it looks like qvs.exe is continuously accessing the folder where the qvd is located (even if no task is running in qms). I am guessing this is the reason the task fails.

If I run the task in Qlikview Desktop the reload goes ok.

Any ideas?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@Catallin 

This could absolutely be clearer in the logs, but the log entries you see are all explained in the article I linked to. Your log matches the message you get for a timeout.

Please take look at this article and let me know if you have questions.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/QlikView-reload-and-distribution-fails-with-...

I

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@Catallin 

Since this happens when you are not reloading anything, we need to know more about the folder you store the qvd in.

Do you have a publisher license?

Is this QVB in the root folder or a mounted folder? Are there other QlikView related files in the folder?

Does everything else work ok?

Catallin
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Maria,

I think I figured it out. The qvw had a timeout of 120 min and as the volume of data kept growing, so did the reload time, crossing now the 120 min limit. I set the timeout at 240 min and started the reload, I think it will work this time.

It would have been nice to have a warning that the reload time is more than the timeout instead of 'Failed to open file in write mode'..

Thank you!

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@Catallin 

It would be nice with a warning, but we can't know how long the reload is going to take.

But you can see that there is a time out in the task log

See this article

Catallin
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@Maria_Halley 

First thing I did was checking the task log but there was no mention about the timeout. 

Here is the task log, maybe you can guide me in deciphering it:

(2022-10-06 01:44:14) Information: Slow down logging. Log every <600> seconds.

(2022-10-06 01:44:14) Information: Reloading

(2022-10-06 01:54:19) Information: Reloading.

(2022-10-06 02:04:24) Information: Reloading..

(2022-10-06 02:14:29) Information: Reloading...

(2022-10-06 02:24:33) Information: Reloading....

(2022-10-06 02:34:38) Information: Reloading.....

(2022-10-06 02:35:31) Warning: The QlikView Engine is Reloading, it will be killed (Please ignore logged warnings/errors about the kill).

(2022-10-06 02:35:31) Information: Killing the QlikView Engine. ProcessID=12856

(2022-10-06 02:35:31) Information: Reload was aborted.

(2022-10-06 02:35:32) Information: Killing a child process of the QlikView Engine. ProcessID=10900. ProcessName=qvconnect64

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Information: Successfully killed a child process of the QlikView Engine. ProcessID=12856. ProcessName=qvb

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Information: Closed the QlikView Engine successfully. ProcessID=12856

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Error: The task "Reload of TaskName" failed. Exception: || QDSMain.Exceptions.TaskFailedException: Task execution failed with errors to follow. ---> QDSMain.Exceptions.ReloadFailedException: Reload failed ---> System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted. || at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext) || at System.Threading.WaitHandle.InternalWaitOne(SafeHandle waitableSafeHandle, Int64 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext) || at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext) || at SolutionGlobal.ThreadPool.ThreadPoolJob.SafeWaitEvent(WaitHandle eventWaitHandle) || at QDSMain.ReloadTask.Reload(String fileName, TaskResult taskResult, String sectionAccessUserName, String sectionAccessPassword, eReloadOptions reloadOption, String variableName, String variableValue, Boolean moniterCpuUsage) || --- End of inner exception stack trace --- || at QDSMain.ReloadTask.Reload(String fileName, TaskResult taskResult, String sectionAccessUserName, String sectionAccessPassword, eReloadOptions reloadOption, String variableName, String variableValue, Boolean moniterCpuUsage) || at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Execute(TaskResult currentTaskResult) || --- End of inner exception stack trace --- || at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Execute(TaskResult currentTaskResult) || at QDSMain.Task.AbstractTask.TaskExecution(ILogBucket logBucket, TaskResult taskResult)

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Error: Task failed with exception

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Error: Exception=The currently executing operation was aborted.

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Information: Reload of TaskName - Task Failed. Saving TaskProgress for retry

(2022-10-06 02:35:33) Information: TaskResult.status=Retry

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@Catallin 

This could absolutely be clearer in the logs, but the log entries you see are all explained in the article I linked to. Your log matches the message you get for a timeout.

Please take look at this article and let me know if you have questions.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/QlikView-reload-and-distribution-fails-with-...

I