Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hrolofs
Contributor III
Contributor III

Data reload: QlikView Server crashed, Deskstop Client working

Hello together,

I have a problem with our QlikView Server. During the reload of one document, the Qlikview server consumed the complete memory of the windows system and chrashed.

This happens if the QlikView server reloads the document. (scheduled reload or manuall triggerd)

If i reload the document in the desktop client on the same windows system it works fine.

Here are the details:

QlikView Novemver 2017 SR6 (Server and Desktop)

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, Service Pack 1
Memory 384 GB

The normal memory usage of the QlikView Server is ~100-160 GB. Durig the data load it goes from this point till ~400 GB in 30 minutes.

The reload of the document with the desktop Client cosumes ~16-18 GB during the realod and worked without any problems.

If i reduce the amount of data, for example from 13 month to 3 month, it works also on the server.

It looks that the data load and calculation during the load hits an internal limit on the QlikView server that on the end consumes all of the availabe memory.

During the data load are some table joining and java script function are used.

If there any difference between the data reload on client or on server (internal limits)? And maybe it can be configured?

At the moment i stop the data reload for this document on the server and doe it manuall day by day on the client.

Regards, Henry

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

With regards to the limits, there are no differences in the use of resources while reloading. There is a big one, in QlikView Server there is a qvb.exe which executes the script, while in QlikView Desktop it's the qv.exe itself. There could be a bug in one not affecting to the other.

JOINs are resource intensive, but again this applies to both Server and Desktop.

You mention javascript code, however the script cannot run any, maybe you are referring to some macros or EXEC calling external .js files from the script?

Anyway, the script log will give you the detail on which operation is taking QlikView the most. Enable it in Settings > Document Properties > General > check Generate Logfile. In the resulting txt file you will see a timestamp before each line of the script. If the reload crashes or stops you will be able to see the latest line written (executed) which can help you troubleshooting the issue.

I would log a case with Qlik Support, since the difference is massive in RAM usage from the qvb.exe to the qv.exe, assuming both are doing exactly the same, i.e.: LOADing the same number of rows from the same source.

hrolofs
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi,

after some tests and long time observation we figured out that this is also happens on the QV Client.

The memory consumption start at the time wen the load script finished. But this happens not every time when the document are reloaded. We have installed a small powershell script to check the processes and there memory consumtion as windows task.

There we can see that this happens some times per week, not every day.

We decided to check this with the new QV version November 2018. Till now, it not happen again.

But we found an other problem with the new version. The new BNF load has again problems if you are using macro functions inside the loader script.

For this we have open a case.

Regards, Henry