Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE

want your chart to only display records where the value in a field is NULL? Here is how.

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

want your chart to only display records where the value in a field is NULL? Here is how.

Last Update:

Jun 27, 2019 5:34:44 PM

Updated By:

dgreenberg

Created date:

Jun 27, 2019 5:33:03 PM

Dealing with Nulls in Qlik can be frustrating.  

Here are 2 things I just though of (but should have long ago) that may help.

1) Give me a count of IDs where another field is NULL.  In this case the values in myField are null because of a join to another table so the alternative is not as simple as a line or 2 in the load script.

Qlik may highlight the syntax as wrong but it works.

=COUNT({$-<MyValue = -{}>}ID) 

2) the true client ask - only show me records where the field MyValue is Null.  

I thought about creating something in the load script but this is specific to just this chart so I would have to get a list of ID's that meet all of the other filter criteria for this chart and add a flag - not hard but didn't seem like the best choice.

Instead I added a new field that checks if MyValue is NULL basically doing the opposite putting a 1 in the new field if MyValue is Null and Null if MyValue has a value.

=if(isnull(MyValue)=-1,1)

Now you can set the [] Suppress When Value is null on this field to ON.  That will only show the rows where this new field has a value which is the rows where MyValue is NULL.

Lastly hide the new column by going into the Presentation tab, picking that new column and selecting Hide Column.

pic1.png

Now turn on Suppress when value is NULL

pic2.png

Now hide that last column

pic3.png

Labels (2)
Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2019-06-27 05:34 PM
Updated by: