cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sumitk
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Impact on Qlik Replicate if I activate audit trail in DB2

Hi All, I have DB2 data source and we implemented Qlik replicate. Now DB team is asking for enable audit trail they want to know is any impact will come on Qlik replicate.

Labels (4)
2 Replies
john_wang
Support
Support

Hello @sumitk ,

Thanks for reaching out to Qlik Community!

I'm not very sure it's DB2z, DB2i, or DB2 LUW serves as Qlik Replicate source endpoint. Do you mean what's the impact if enable Data Capture Changes in the DB2 database?

Turning on DATA CAPTURE CHANGES (CDC) for a table introduces a small amount of extra logging. When this option is set for a table, DB2 logs both the full before and after images of the row for each update. When the option is not set, DB2 logs only the columns that changed because this amount of logging is all that is needed for Db2 recovery. The amount of additional logging is proportional to row size, but only for those tables for which DATA CAPTURE CHANGES is on. Setting DATA CAPTURE CHANGES on source tables prompts DB2 to log SQL changes in an expanded format that is required for replication which leads DB2 transaction log occupy more storage spaces, a bit CPU resource, and IO resources for the data replication via Qlik Replicate.

Hope this helps.

John.

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
SushilKumar
Support
Support

Hello @sumitk 

As far as i understand audit trail in DB2 seems your dba want to monitor end user activity, data manipulation, and system events. The audit trail helps to maintain accountability and security by providing a detailed log of database activity.

Seems it would not that much effect to Qlik Replication as it will do no perform any modification on database rather than make connections and fetch info from Db and transactions logs to capture changes. 

enable auditing put a toll or 1 to 2 % on Db so that it may record all the events in tables which comes into the effect when Audit enabled.

Regards,

Sushil Kumar

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!