cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jm32
Contributor III
Contributor III

Amazon RDS for SQL Server as an Endpoint - LSN errors

Does anybody else use Amazon RDS for SQL Server as an Endpoint?  We have a requirement where it's preferred to replicate using the transaction log as a source vs ms-cdc tables for performance reasons (also DDL changes get deployed to the target better with tlog as source vs ms-cdc).     We have the tasks working fine but get periodic (at least once a week) errors out with the following error message example.   We then have to reload the target.  Are there any best practices or tips for using RDS for SQL Server as an endpoint?

Stream component 'st_0_xxx' terminated Stream component failed at subtask 0, component st_0_xxx Error executing source loop. ----------------------------------------
05:54:46 UTC  
2023/11/30 05:54:46 INFO Content-Type:text/plain; charset=UTF-8 MIME-Version: 1.0  LSN '000a235b:000db582:0025' could not be found, neither in the transaction log nor in the backup log. ----
Labels (2)
13 Replies
jm32
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Would I need to look somewhere else besides SQL to find the max storage allocation?  The query below looks like space shouldn't be an issue. 

jm32_0-1701457498239.png

Dana_Baldwin
Support
Support

jm32
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

We received the error again this morning.  I checked the queries you sent and the LSN file that was missing was in a log backup.  The timestamp on the backup is at the exact same time the error occurred.   Maybe the LSN was being backed up at the same time the Replicate was trying to find it?    I have the capture job parameters set to:  maxtrans = 500, maxscans =10, continuous = 1, pollinginterval = 20000, retention = 0, threshold = 0.  

Dana_Baldwin
Support
Support

Hi @jm32 

I am not sure how to influence how often LSN's are moved to the TLOG backup other than what is mentioned in the user guide, which is to increase the max storage allocation. Microsoft Support or our Professional Services team may be able to help. If you want to use our Professional Services (fee based) please contact your account manager.

I'm sorry I could not be of further assistance in this.

Dana