Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunny_talwar

nPrinting: Reload Matadata Fails because of Memory

Hi All -

Looking for ideas to resolve an issue where we are failing to reload matadata because of the memory it is using while doing the reload matadata job. While following the memory usage, it seemed as if the memory only spiked after the dashboard was opened, so I assume it is related to an object/s taking a lot of memory, but it is difficult to pinpoint it to a single object in the dashboard.

Tried to run the dashboard via @rwunderlich 's document analyzer, but nothing stood out.

Additional info

Dashboard Size: ~1.2 GB
Memory on the VM Box: 64GB (Seems like this can be the max we can go on the VM Box)

Also, tried a trimmed down version of the main dashboard which is ~400 MB. This one does successfully reload metadata, but seems to be taking up around ~56GB. The fear is that we might hit 64GB limit with this as volume grows.

Any ideas/suggestions to troubleshoot would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Sunny

Qlik NPrinting 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Friend
Support
Support

@Sunny it sounds to me like you are on the right track:

• Increase RAM on the NP server (64GB isn't that much anymore, is this an older version of VMware perhaps?)
    • Its common now to see 256 or 512GB of RAM
  • Have a QlikView Developer review the app to help identify the culprit of the massive RAM usage
    • I would for that perhaps post in the QlikView App Dev Community

View solution in original post

3 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

@Sunny it sounds to me like you are on the right track:

• Increase RAM on the NP server (64GB isn't that much anymore, is this an older version of VMware perhaps?)
    • Its common now to see 256 or 512GB of RAM
  • Have a QlikView Developer review the app to help identify the culprit of the massive RAM usage
    • I would for that perhaps post in the QlikView App Dev Community
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @sunny_talwar 

NPrinting clears all selections and in case of QlikVIew "goes through" sheets and opens all of them. That used to be behaviour I observed some time ago (and I am unsure whether this has changed in recent years). Keep in mind that hidden objects may also be considered so check if those are not a factor. As you know each sheet object is then calculated (when viewed) and having all selections cleared may cause the problem.

1. My assumption is that you could minimize as many objects as possible and could keep only those which are required by users (if any). For all my projects I always create separate NPrinting app so then I can minimize all objects which usually greatly improves performance

2. Check for any hidden sheets/objects

3. Maybe apply calculation condition on objects which may require it - i know you struggle to pin point the object but try to use CTRL+SHIFT+S to unhide hidden objects and see how it looks like then.

cheers

Lech

4. What nprinting connection type are you using (LOCAL, SERVER or CLASTER)? 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Frank_S
Support
Support

I will also add a couple of articles as well which include the above helpful tips which add additional tweaking information that my help you as well.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!