Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlik_Maestro
Contributor III
Contributor III

Unable to Import a PowerPoint report with Embedded Excel

Hello,

I have a powerpoint report in NPrinting. I have a requirement that I want to utilize an embedded excel file for. 

So I have followed the directions contained here to get the PPT with the embedded excel table: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Insert-spreadsheet-i...

I proceeded to try and import the zip file and I get the following message: The report does not contain valid data. 

Can anyone help me out in seeing why this is not importing?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

1. It is not clear which steps you were taking to "import zip file" 

2. The steps from the link provided work for me easily

3. Embedded excel spreadsheets in power point cannot be updated by nprinting entities so it means that you are just including a "placeholder or existing excel spreadsheet" in PowerPoint for whatever reason users will use it for later 

4. You cannot really edit it in NPrinting powerpoint template (it will likely crash) so the way to create and nest such file is directly in PowerPoint and then use that power point as a source of your template which is as well documented in the link you provided.

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1695970621751.png

With that you can create power point template and produce report

Lech_Miszkiewicz_1-1695970805585.gif

5. Exporting, unzippinp, modifying, zipping and importing also worked for me when test with the existing report. Following instructions as it says in help doc works for me so you must be doing something different.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

1. It is not clear which steps you were taking to "import zip file" 

2. The steps from the link provided work for me easily

3. Embedded excel spreadsheets in power point cannot be updated by nprinting entities so it means that you are just including a "placeholder or existing excel spreadsheet" in PowerPoint for whatever reason users will use it for later 

4. You cannot really edit it in NPrinting powerpoint template (it will likely crash) so the way to create and nest such file is directly in PowerPoint and then use that power point as a source of your template which is as well documented in the link you provided.

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1695970621751.png

With that you can create power point template and produce report

Lech_Miszkiewicz_1-1695970805585.gif

5. Exporting, unzippinp, modifying, zipping and importing also worked for me when test with the existing report. Following instructions as it says in help doc works for me so you must be doing something different.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
qlik_Maestro
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for your help.

So what I was doing wrong is when I was creating the final zip file, there was an extra folder layer that was created unbeknownst to me. Once I made the zip file without that extra folder layer, the report imported correctly. 

However I was disappointed to learn that even if you set the NPrinting table column references into this embedded excel object (ie. <tablecolumn1>  ), when running or previewing the report it does not get populated with data.