cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markp201
Creator III
Creator III

NPrinting with both total and average summary lines

I had to create a multi-level excel report which had both totals and averages at each break.

My original thought was to create two reports which would have been time-consuming, difficult to use and “quick and dirty but mostly dirty” solution.  I proceeded to create the totals using the division technique mentioned in this post.

I first attempted the averages in a similar manner but the math didn’t work out because the subtotals were included. I needed a way to only take the detail lines.  In the screen shot below, this would be the <Name> lines.

The solution I devised was to add column D and use width property to effectively hide the column.

Listed are the formulas and their function

D8           COUNT(E6:E7)                               Counts the detail lines for each manager

D9           -1                                                  Flag to exclude lower level subtotals from the level above

(e.g. exclude manager totals from the region totals)

D12        SUMIF(D5:D11,”>0”)                         Totals the counts from the manager levels (exclude -1 rows)

D13        -1                                                   Similar purpose as D9 except for next level up

E8           SUM(E6:E7)                                  Sum <Name> lines for each manager

E9           E9/$D8                                         Average of the <Name> lines for the manager

E12         SUMIF($D5:$D11,"",E5:E11)           Total of detail lines for the region (exclude manager totals)

E13         E12/$D12                                      Average of the <Name> lines for the region

D18        SUMIF(D2:D16,">0")/2                     Total of counts from the region and manager levels

(exclude -1 rows).  Requires divide by 2 because count will double

E18         SUMIF($D2:$D16,"",E2:E16)           Total of detail lines for the regions

E19         E18/$D18                                      Average of detail lines

0 Replies