Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duzford13
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting 16 and QV.exe License Leasing

First off, no judgement please!

We are currently running two NPrinting environments - one with a current version of Qlik NPrinting where we are running the majority of reports and doing any new development, and one still running NPrinting 16.  There are a handful of reports that are  using some logic in NPrinting 16 (linked keys, some other connections) that we have not been able to migrate over to the newer version. 

About 3 weeks ago we started noticing that we could no longer run reports manually or edit reports in the NPrinting 16 environment.  That version opens the app in a qv.exe, and it was telling us that we were running personal editions and it could not open the apps.  When we try to lease a license, it gives us the message  'Connected to server OK, no reply received. Switching to HTTP tunneling. Connected to server ok, No reply received'. 

We have checked port 4747 and it is open on both the NPrinting server and the server we are trying to lease the license from.  We can see that there is communication, but something is still stopping us from leasing the license.  This is happening for all users on the team, even though we are able to lease licenses successfully on all of our other servers.  Many reports are still running just fine from the schedule in the NPrinting 16 environment, but any that we have tried to run manually will now fail. 

Our NPrinting 16 environment is a virtual Windows server. Any help would be very appreciated!!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
duzford13
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you everyone for your responses! We were able to (somewhat) solve the issue.  I had to log in as the service account that runs the NPrinting service and open the needed apps through that account.  That seems to have reset something, even though I still cannot directly lease a license using that account. We are able to run our reports for now, which gets us to where we need to be until we can get these older reports moved to our newer NPrinting environment.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

@Frank_S what are your thoughts on this NP 16 question?

@duzford13 one thing I have thought of, I wonder if you could ask your Qlik Account Manager about getting a dedicated QV Desktop license key, so you could license the QV Desktop, so you don't have to rely on leasing a license, just a thought! 🙂

duzford13
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you @David_Friend ! The strange thing is that we've been successfully leasing a license in this environment for close to a decade.  I'm not sure what is going on within the last 3 weeks. That's a good idea though if we can't figure out why we can't lease from our QV server.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

It seems a QlikView Desktop license issue. Personal Edition is not supported so you have to activate a license by using a Named CAL or the pair license key + control number. Leased licenses have the problem that when QlikView NPrinting opens QlikView Desktop one leased license could not be available because all licenses are already in use. So QlikView Desktop will be opened as Personal Edition and QlikView NPrinting generates errors.

You need to assign the QlikView license to the Windows user that runs the QlikView NPrinting Server Windows service. Or you have to run Qv.exe by doing a right click while keeping shift pressed, select Run as a different user, insert the Windows user that runs the QlikView NPrinting Server service and activate the license for that user.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
marcus_sommer

It might be related to the disabling of the IE which happens about 4 weeks ago. Depending on the specific environment the use of the IE plugin might be needed to lease a licence. Beside the things which Microsoft did to disable the IE (I assume it's rather setting any kill-flag instead of a complete de-installation of the tool and re-setting all kind of related configurations - many are in truth global settings) your own IT might have done also any measures which may now preventing the communication.

- Marcus

duzford13
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you @Ruggero_Piccoli - we did try running the qv.exe as a different user, both using a service account and using some of our personal accounts (we log into the servers with CyberArk normally).  We ran into the same error messages both times.  We are able to lease licenses successfully on other machines and our Named CALs are all set up correctly. This is the only server where we are having any issues.  I thought about the issue where the licenses may already be in use, but that should not be the case for those personal accounts that we tried. Those are not being used to lease licenses anywhere. 

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I have not understood if you solved.

QlikView NPrinting 16 Server (and Qlik NPrinting 17+ Engines) opens the local installation of QlikView Desktop with the Windows user that runs the service. So you must be able to do the same manually without errors and it must be opened with a valid license.

You used the label for QlikView NPrinting 16.0 in the original post. Are you using that version or another, newer, of the 16 series? Please note that most recent versions of QlikView are not supported by QlikView NPrinting 16 so, if you updated QlikView it could be that you are using a version that was never tested with NPrinting 16. Most recent supported versions of QlikView are QlikView 12.20 SR4, SR5, SR6, SR7 and SR8. by NPrinting 16.9. QlikView 12.30 is not supported.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
duzford13
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you everyone for your responses! We were able to (somewhat) solve the issue.  I had to log in as the service account that runs the NPrinting service and open the needed apps through that account.  That seems to have reset something, even though I still cannot directly lease a license using that account. We are able to run our reports for now, which gets us to where we need to be until we can get these older reports moved to our newer NPrinting environment.