Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ipsita
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

What is the use and difference of Appender(smtpAppender) and Qlik Web Connector(Notification)

Hi Team,

I want to implement the email notification/alert message for,

1. All failure task of app in QMC [For admin use]
  2. KPI goes into a critical status  [For data use]

I found couple of articles explains about smtp appenders and also about Qlik Notification connector with use of Qlik Web Connector. I cannot figure out what is the best practice to use and what is the actual difference in these two methods. Because both says by using these two methods we can trigger email.

Could someone please brief me the basic functionality and use/difference of these two concepts(smtp appenders and notification connectors).

Can I achieve above 2 requirements by using any one method? Please guide which method will be feasible to achieve my requirement of email triggering and How.  Additionally, I need email configured from Outlook server not from gmail.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Ipsita

Labels (1)
8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The smtpAppender is very easy to set up and uses the QS Logging mechanism to send alert emails. But it's a bit limited. You can't use it for KPI alerts. It can only send alerts for things that are logged.

The Smtp Connector takes a bit more effort to set up, but is more flexible. And since Qlik Sense doesn't support alerts yet you have to gather the data yourself and implement the logic that determines an alert should be send. That is the case for both KPI alerts and for task failures.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Ipsita
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks Gysbert for the quick reply.
So this meant smtp notification connector can be used to send the alert email both for Task failure and KPI alerts.
Can you please brief what complexity it creates in setup.

Regards,
Ipsita
Gysbert_Wassenaar

See this blog post for an example: https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/send-data-from-qlik-load-script/

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I would encourage reviewing https://eablog.qlik-poc.com/2018/11/01/getting-notified-from-qlik-sense/ which goes over these options (and more).

Ipsita
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks , this is very useful.
Ipsita
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thankds Gysbert. That's a nice explanation.
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Nice articles. But please not yet another random blog site by Qlik employees. Please, please use this community platform to post this kind of wonderful, useful documentation.

Like your colleagues @Yianni_Ververis, @Francis_Kabinoff and @ChristofSchwarz do for example:

Ipsita
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Many Thanks for sharing such great articles.