Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heij1421
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Qlik PostgreSQL Installer doesn't detect database

Hi,

I want to upgrade my existing version of Qlik Sense Enterprise from release February 2023 to February 2024. The existing version still uses the PostgreSQL 9.6 database. So I want to use the Qlik PostgreSQL Installer to upgrade and unbundle the PostgreSQL database.

I stopped all Qlik services except the Qlik Sense Repository Database. Then I start the QPI tool and at the first screen it displays 'No supported existing Qlik Sense PostgreSQL database found. This program will install a new PostgreSQL v14.8 database".

Why doesn't this QPI tool detect my existing database?

When I press next and fill out all fields, field 'database port' becomes red with message 'Database port already used by an external service in the system'. Port 4432 is used by the postgres.exe so then it detects?!

I have attached the pg_hba.conf and the postgresql.conf from folder "C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6". Files are renamed with .txt to be able to upload.

Also I have tried to change the 'listen_addresses' line to 'listen_addresses = '*' without any luck.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @heij1421 

Where is your Qlik Sense installation located? I assume outside of c:\program files\qlik\sense.

If that is the case please try with qpi version 1.3.

Best regards 

Sebastian 

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @heij1421 

Where is your Qlik Sense installation located? I assume outside of c:\program files\qlik\sense.

If that is the case please try with qpi version 1.3.

Best regards 

Sebastian 

heij1421
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Indeed, the folder location is not c:\program files\qlik\sense.

I used the 1.3 version and it detects the right folder name where Qlik was installed.. Thanks!

But when I use the 1.3 version, I get an error during the installation process of PostgreSQL 14.8. 
It refers to the log file and this displays the following lines:

Removing inherited ACLs on (C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\data)
Called Die(Failed to reset the ACL (C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\data))...
Failed to reset the ACL (C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\data)

Then the installation stops

I tried to disable UAC on my server and I'm an admin. 

EdwardLee
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qliksense 在升级方面最差。它存在各种问题,严重影响后期维护。

Sebastian_Linser

@heij1421 https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CANFyU97OwVoZdRwtgPO_B%2BBcCUSTSKkU_98ENN3f0veNQisCHg%40mail.g... its the initDB command which fails during your install. Qlik is not controlling that but postgres itself since we are using their installer. Usually the issue is that the VC++ library 2015-2019 didn't get installed correctly https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe or that your user has limited rights on some GPO. 

a manual fix is listed in that stack overflow article https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70808603/cannot-install-postgresql-14-on-my-windows-server-2019-... , you can also simply try with the exe for postgres (postgresqI-14.8-1-windows-x64. exe) to install it on your system. you will see it will be stuck at the same point.

regards

Sebastian

heij1421
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

When I use the 'postgresql-14.8-1-windows-x64.exe' installed, the first screen asks where to store the data. When I select folder 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\14\data' I get an error message explaining that the current user doesn't have rights to write to this folder. At that point I can simply grant myself access using the windows file explorer.

But when using the QPI, this folder is created automatically, so I can't grant myself access during the QPI install. Also I don't understand why I'm not granted rights automatically as I'm a local admin in the machine.