Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnalyticExplorer7
Contributor II
Contributor II

Difference between standard app size and app reload RAM?

I have some confusion regarding the following topics. Can anyone please clarify?

1. What is the difference between App Size (in memory size), App Reload RAM, App RAM Footprint, and App Peak Reload Memory?
  2. We are using Qlik Sense SaaS. If the standard app size is 5GB, what is the peak reload size for apps in spaces without large app support, is it 40 or 50 GB?"
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

@AnalyticExplorer7  you would have 3 x 120GB in total available for reloads (360GB)  for apps that required large app support that are also being reloaded in a space that is designated for large app support. 

JonnyPoole_0-1710503546672.png

Also, the number is a 'concurrent' number meaning that 360GB applies to the RAM available collectively to all 'large' apps that are concurrently reloading. 

There is a limit of 240GB available to  any single app reloading, but in your case you could have 1 large app able to use up to 240GB while reloading, and another that is concurrently reloading be able to use up to 120GB (for a total of 360GB for large apps concurrently reloading). 

There are some other details here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Admin/large-app-support....

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Rohit-Prakash
Employee
Employee

@AnalyticExplorer7  

• App Size (In Memory Size): Memory usage when the application is loaded.
  • App Reload RAM: Additional memory needed during data reload processes.
  • App RAM Footprint: Total memory usage during runtime, including reloads and normal operations.
  • App Peak Reload Memory: Maximum memory usage during data reloads.

The peak reload size for apps in spaces without large app support is 40 GB. If a reload exceeds this limit, move the app to a space that allows large apps.
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

There is a quirk where the full reload RAM is not available to an app being reloaded from the Data Load Editor 'load' button in the situation where the same app has not been reloaded fully previously. 

Before heading to 'large app support' try instead to go to the hub, go to the app details and do a reload of the app from the hub.  Like a scheduled reload it will give you 40GB of RAM to reload.  Then, once it has been successful the first time, metadata is written into the app to ensure all subsequent reloads from the hub, schedule or from the data load editor will be able to access 40GB of reload RAM. 

You can get a full description of the guard rails which are slightly different between

1. Capacity vs User subscriptions

2. Tier of subscription

3. presence of large app support

(4. And of course the quirk situation i just described)

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Introduction/qcs-specs-c...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Introduction/qcs-specs-c...

AnalyticExplorer7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Please help me here. We have the App Analyzer application in our Qlik Cloud. As you mentioned, the peak reload size for apps in spaces without large app support is 40 GB. If a reload exceeds this limit, the app should be moved to a space that allows large apps.

My question is regarding the "App Reload Peak RAM" column(see below image). Should it not exceed 40 GB? If it does, should the app be moved to a capacity that supports large apps? Am I correct in this understanding?

AnalyticExplorer7_3-1710500911103.png

My last doubt is: Previously, it was 50 GB. Did Qlik recently change it to 40 GB?

AnalyticExplorer7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you so much for the explanation. Can you please help me here?

We have purchased a large app capacity pack of 120 GB. So, my question is: Can you please explain how this large app capacity is calculated, and what does "3x purchased capacity" mean?

AnalyticExplorer7_0-1710501979559.png

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

@AnalyticExplorer7  you would have 3 x 120GB in total available for reloads (360GB)  for apps that required large app support that are also being reloaded in a space that is designated for large app support. 

JonnyPoole_0-1710503546672.png

Also, the number is a 'concurrent' number meaning that 360GB applies to the RAM available collectively to all 'large' apps that are concurrently reloading. 

There is a limit of 240GB available to  any single app reloading, but in your case you could have 1 large app able to use up to 240GB while reloading, and another that is concurrently reloading be able to use up to 120GB (for a total of 360GB for large apps concurrently reloading). 

There are some other details here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Admin/large-app-support....

AnalyticExplorer7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@JonnyPoole 

Thank you so much for your assistance and clear understanding.

AnalyticExplorer7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@JonnyPoole 

Can you please help with this as well?

AnalyticExplorer7
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @JonnyPoole 

I have a one more concern. We have the App Analyzer application in our Qlik Cloud. As you mentioned, the peak reload size for apps in spaces without large app support is 40 GB. If a reload exceeds this limit, the app should be moved to a space that allows large apps.

My question is regarding the "App Reload Peak RAM" column(see below image). Should it not exceed 40 GB? If it does, should the app be moved to a capacity that supports large apps? Am I correct in this understanding?

AnalyticExplorer7_0-1710935322435.png

Previously, it was 50 GB. Did Qlik recently change it to 40 GB?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I don’t think so. 

50gb is the limit for all apps whether they are in large app spaces or not,  but it’s for Base RAM. Reload RAM is still much higher.