Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RafaCapote
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlik Custom Themes - Deploy Changes - Modifications

Hi Qlik Community members,

I´m working on the creation of a new Custom Theme for my company (Qlik Sense Enterprise).

I´ve done some progress creating new color palettes/gradients, so I would like to make it available as a BETA version.

On the same way, I´ve imported it as an extension using the QMC and it works like a charm.

Now, I´ve applied some enhancements so I´m looking forward to deploy the new version.

The question is:

Is there any way to deploy the changes by overwriting the old version so the apps already making use of the BETA version could be automatically updated?

I´ve done some investigations, but without any success.

it would be great if you can suggest some best practices or good ways to proceed.

Many thanks!

Version: Qlik Sense November 2021 Patch 6

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
saso70
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi, you can add any new code to the theme and just import extension in qmc if extension already exist you will  be prompt to overwrite extension, or you can deinstall old theme and install new theme  in hub you will need to refresh app in both cases 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
saso70
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi, you can add any new code to the theme and just import extension in qmc if extension already exist you will  be prompt to overwrite extension, or you can deinstall old theme and install new theme  in hub you will need to refresh app in both cases 

RafaCapote
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @saso70 

Many thanks for your quick answer.

Instead of a prompt asking to overwrite, I´m getting following error "Failed to import extensions. Please check the log file". I don´t know which log it is. 

Please could you tell me which version of Qlik Sense Enterprise you have installed?

Regarding deleting the old one and adding new version, that is not a good option when you haven hundreds of apps.

alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

Ho @RafaCapote , you can replace extension direclty from QMC only from May 2022 version onwards. For olders version you have to delete and then import your theme. This is the correct process and there is no issue, even if theme is used in hunders of apps.

RafaCapote
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @alex_colombo ,

Many thanks for your inputs.  It´s clear. I will push to get our environment update so we can manage the Theme releases in a better way.

I think it would take lot of time to go app by app across the whole environment assigning the new theme after updating, so maybe better to wait for the version update before start using custom themes.

I will mark @saso70 answer as solution as it´s correct what he said, but in any case thank you both for the quick support.

alex_colombo
Employee
Employee

I'm not understading why you said "it would take lot of time to go app by app across the whole environment assigning the new theme". If you are not changing theme name, but just apply new modifications to the same theme, you should not go app per app. The new modifications will affect all apps where your theme is used

RafaCapote
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @alex_colombo ,

Many thanks again.

I was highlighting that because some days ago I tried a couple of times to deploy some changes on the custom theme by deleting it and importing the new version on the QMC. For some reason the apps where I was using my theme were automatically reassigned to "Sense Classic", so I needed to go app by app to manually set my theme again.

I don´t know what I did wrong back then, because after getting your response I tried to do the same again and it works perfectly fine. The apps are getting automatically updated to the new version after deleting the old one and importing new version.

So looks like this topic has been nothing but a confusion or a time specific issue on my side.

Hopefully this discussion will be anyways helpful for more people.

fruityhost
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi there!
There is a chrome-based browser extension for Qlik Sense - Gitoqlok, which serializes Custom Themes you have for your application. By creating a Git repository for your Qlik app through Gitoqlok (is provides a seamless Qlik x Git integration) you can store your Custom Themes in a repository and import them whenever applicable. 
Here's the documentation: https://docs.gitoqlok.com/kick-start/create-git-repo-and-commits/creating-git-repository-for-your-ap...