cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenr169387
Contributor III
Contributor III

Binary file to qvf file for SaaS upload

We have recently moved to Qlik SaaS from a local instance of Qlik Sense Enterprise.  Due to a miscommunication, our old Qlik license has expired before all the apps were converted to SaaS. We cannot get into the old QMC to export the apps, but we have found the physical Binary file.  How can we upload the remaining apps into SaaS?

We attempted to rename the binary files to qvf according to Solved: Convert binary file to .qvf file - Qlik Community - 52891 but with no luck.

Can we download Qlik Desktop and attempt to convert them there?  If so where's the download file - I'm getting the run around on Qlik's website trying to download it.

Are there any other options?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @kenr169387 

Renaming the app binary to name.qvf should work. To use the app, whoever ut will not be all of it since parts are stored in the database (e.g. community sheets)

Do you still have the qlik sense enterprise installation? Is so please reach out to support and we can assist you with moving the files over.

The qlik sense desktop version open Https://www.qlik.com

Then select support -> customer support-> downloads to load the latest version. This one should be able to Los the qvf but it will not convert anything.

Regards Sebastian

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! 🙂

View solution in original post

kenr169387
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Kudo's to the Qlik support team for responding quickly!  Here's their response:

- You cannot use binary to load data from an app in a managed space. The app must be in a personal space or a shared space.
- You cannot upload QVW or QVF files to the /DataFiles folder. Instead, you can upload the file to a file share, for example AWS S3 or Google Drive, and then load the data from a data connection connected to the file share.

Here's my solution: 
(Short answer: rename the binary file as .qvf, load it into Qlik Desktop, upload it into SaaS)

1. Downloaded Qlik desktop from @Sebastian_Linser instructions.
    1. This can also be done through the Qlik SaaS portal (profile settings -> tools -> Qlik Sense Desktop Download)
  2. Installed and authenticated Qlik Desktop
    1. in order to authenticate, go to Qlik SaaS -> profile settings -> tools -> Qlik Sense Desktop (Authenticate button)
  3. Open Qlik Desktop
  4. Make a copy of the binary file and renamed [file].qvf
  5. Drag and Drop the renamed qvf into Qlik Desktop
  6. Uploaded file to SaaS (Qlik SaaS Home -> Add New -> Upload App)
  7. Re-created data connections
  8. Verified the sheets, made the sheets public, published the app, and setup scheduled reload.

I assume there's something occurring when I dropped the renamed qvf into Qlik Desktop that allowed the file to be read by Qlik SaaS.  

Thanks to all who helped!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Sebastian_Linser

Hello @kenr169387 

Renaming the app binary to name.qvf should work. To use the app, whoever ut will not be all of it since parts are stored in the database (e.g. community sheets)

Do you still have the qlik sense enterprise installation? Is so please reach out to support and we can assist you with moving the files over.

The qlik sense desktop version open Https://www.qlik.com

Then select support -> customer support-> downloads to load the latest version. This one should be able to Los the qvf but it will not convert anything.

Regards Sebastian

kenr169387
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I wasn't explicit before but when I uploaded the renamed binary file to Qlik SaaS, it errored out after uploading the File and attempted to process the data.   It displayed the error, "Failed to upload files:1" without further explanation.  Attempts to read the "logs" at Management Console -> Events proved futile.  I also attempted multiple files with the same result.

I have submitted a support case to see what they say.  

I've also now have the desktop version.

Thanks for the reply!  I will mark this as the correct answer when the problem is fixed.

kenr169387
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Kudo's to the Qlik support team for responding quickly!  Here's their response:

- You cannot use binary to load data from an app in a managed space. The app must be in a personal space or a shared space.
- You cannot upload QVW or QVF files to the /DataFiles folder. Instead, you can upload the file to a file share, for example AWS S3 or Google Drive, and then load the data from a data connection connected to the file share.

Here's my solution: 
(Short answer: rename the binary file as .qvf, load it into Qlik Desktop, upload it into SaaS)

1. Downloaded Qlik desktop from @Sebastian_Linser instructions.
    1. This can also be done through the Qlik SaaS portal (profile settings -> tools -> Qlik Sense Desktop Download)
  2. Installed and authenticated Qlik Desktop
    1. in order to authenticate, go to Qlik SaaS -> profile settings -> tools -> Qlik Sense Desktop (Authenticate button)
  3. Open Qlik Desktop
  4. Make a copy of the binary file and renamed [file].qvf
  5. Drag and Drop the renamed qvf into Qlik Desktop
  6. Uploaded file to SaaS (Qlik SaaS Home -> Add New -> Upload App)
  7. Re-created data connections
  8. Verified the sheets, made the sheets public, published the app, and setup scheduled reload.

I assume there's something occurring when I dropped the renamed qvf into Qlik Desktop that allowed the file to be read by Qlik SaaS.  

Thanks to all who helped!

Harsha-Lodha
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @kenr169387 , @Sebastian_Linser 

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am facing the same issue. The solution mentioned above seems very doable and easy. The only question is there desktop version available for mac system as well. I see only microsoft desktop application profile settings.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 12.36.14 PM.png

Sebastian_Linser

Hello @Harsha-Lodha ,

Qlik Sense Desktop is a Microsoft Windows only program, there is no Mac version for it. Parallels Desktop would be the tool for you if you wanted to run it.

best regards

Sebastian

Harsha-Lodha
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Sebastian_Linser  Thank you so much for the revert. Also I would like to know if there is a way to export multiple apps with data from QMC qlik sense Enterprise. Then we can store those files on some storage say amazon S3.  That will skip the requirement of windows PC since we can upload that app directly in Qlik SaaS

Sebastian_Linser

@Harsha-Lodha from Qlik Sense February 2024 you can export multiple apps at the same time. https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/February2024/Subsystems/RepositoryServiceAPI/Content/Sen...

(Works also from the QMC)

Harsha-Lodha
Contributor
Contributor

We're currently on Qlik Sense Enterprise November 2021. Based on your feedback, it would require us to move to a newer version of Qlik before transitioning to Qlik SaaS which could complicate the transition, and may not be an efficient archival strategy. Would it be feasible to do an upgrade from Nov 2021 to the most recent 2024 version (once we've gone live in SaaS) and just mass-export the files that way?
Considering this, we were hoping for a good way to get the qvf files out of our current version which would allow these files to be opened in SaaS for edge cases where Legacy data doesn't align with the current platform.

Harsha-Lodha
Contributor
Contributor

@Sebastian_Linser  It would be great help if you help us build a automation Qlik SaaS to read that binary file from  Qlik Sense Enterprise Server , make necessary changes and open in Qlik SaaS