cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Separating custom variable input

Dear community,

I have a custom variable "questionnaire" which tracks the following user's examplary inputs:

"Yes (explanation XYZIAHDFHFJ) | Yes (explanation JWKFN)| No (explanation ADKFJ)". The user can answer with Yes or No and has to provide some explanation, which is then in my variable directly attached to their answer.

I would now like to count all those users who never answered with no - or in other words: who always have a yes.

The problem: the explanation part written in brackets can range from one character to many characters, dependig on the users' input. This makes it so difficult to separate the multiple Yes. "left(questionnare,2) = 'Yes'" does not work, as I never know how long the explanation part is going to be.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

Best

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

If your data-source looks like in your example you could split the various answers in separate columns, for example with something like:

load

recno() as RecNo, iterno() as IterNo,

trim(subfield(subfield(questionnaire, '|', iterno()), '(', 1)) as Answer,

textbetween(subfield(questionnaire, '|', iterno()), '(', ')')) as Explanation

from Source while iterno() <= substringcount(questionnaire, '|') + 1;

After that you could just make a count over your Answer column.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
marcus_sommer

If your data-source looks like in your example you could split the various answers in separate columns, for example with something like:

load

recno() as RecNo, iterno() as IterNo,

trim(subfield(subfield(questionnaire, '|', iterno()), '(', 1)) as Answer,

textbetween(subfield(questionnaire, '|', iterno()), '(', ')')) as Explanation

from Source while iterno() <= substringcount(questionnaire, '|') + 1;

After that you could just make a count over your Answer column.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much for your fast answer, Marcus! That worked!