Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Server with 2 sets of CPU's

Hello,

We're reviewing a server with 2 sets of CPU's.  Each set is on a different card and has 4 CPU's.  Anyone ever have problems with this hardware configuration?

Thanks and regards.

30 Replies
Not applicable

Any document stating such thing? How many core should I leave check marked?

clisboa_noesis
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

In a single user scenario it's way better to haver fewer but faster cores than to have more but slower cores.

The fact that the information has to be split up to be fed to the cores and then joined back always creates an overhead. Overhead results in a performance loss.

In a multiple user scenario that is not a linear conclusion one can draw, but that's usually the case.

Regards,

Carlos

hps
Employee
Employee

Hi Mohamed,

In your case you have likely created calculations that are single threaded. This could be due to many factors such as

expressions, data model and so forth.

When calculations are single threaded QlikView Server (QVS) will only utilize a single core for all or parts of the operation. With 100% single threaded calculation computation time is directly correlated to core clock speed. 

Your previous hardware ran at 2.4 GHz and your newer runs at 1.86 GHz.

2.4 divided by 1.86 yields about 30% difference, which is exactly what you mention.

So if possible do get high clock speed CPUs, and as always do refer to your local QlikView representative and/or QlikView partner for advice on server recommendations.

The new server is however much more capable at handling more simultaneous users and applications as the theoretical computational capacity is three to four times the previous one, but for this single user single application test your older is faster only due to clock/core speed.

Regards,

Hampus

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Half of them at first. Then try various affinities I would guess.

hps
Employee
Employee

"4-socket G7s".

Are you referring to HP 4-socket G7?

A specific model?

QlikView works very well with many 4-socket servers.

Always refer to your local QlikView representative and/or QlikView partner as they have a list of well proven and recommended servers.

Not applicable

I even lower the spec of the HX5, in SIMPLEX mode with almost the same specs then the HS22 but the result where not better or poor it was still taking me over 4 minutes to run the statistic.

Not applicable

I tried that, it made no difference.

Not improving or making things worse.

Not applicable

But I also tried the HX5 in simplex mode same specs wise beside the cpu and I was still getting the same result around 4 minutes. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes Hampus - HP boxes.  I've not tried it but that;'s what I heard.  We are using 2-socket G8's right now.

Not applicable

Mr.Hampus von Post

Thanks for you explanation.

Can you please tell us why we see activity over all cores when we run the satistic test then?

qlikview.png