Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pennetzdorfer
Creator III
Creator III

Week dimension messes up bar chart

I've got a chart with DATE as dimension. So far so good ... Now, I'm trying to add WEEK numbers for better clarity (as in screenshot 1)

2012-09-19_114329.jpg

But when I add the WEEK dimension the chart gets completely messed up! I've no idea why ...

2.jpg

Regards,

Florian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Florian,

I think there are at least two issues here that mangle your chart:

First (the minor issue), the text on axis seems not to work correctly in your stacked bar chart with two dimensions and multiple expressions.

Second (the bigger issue), QV seems to show all dates for each week as dimension value, not only the dates that are linked to that week.

You see what I mean if you select say 2 weeks. No idea why QV does it this way, but it seems to work this way, I remember also some other posts here that described some similar problems (and noone came up with a clean solution, AFAIR).

I personally can only suggest some modifications to your app, having still only one dimension and showing the week number in a different way (as part of the text on axis). See attached for my suggestions.

Regards,

Stefan

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MayilVahanan

Hi

Try like this,

Hope it helps

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
pennetzdorfer
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Mayil, but actually I'm trying to achieve a layout as you see in screenshot 1. Adding the weeknumber should just improve the usability of the chart ...

Regards,

Florian

MayilVahanan

Hi

I think that better approach to view the result more convenient for this data..

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Florian,

I think there are at least two issues here that mangle your chart:

First (the minor issue), the text on axis seems not to work correctly in your stacked bar chart with two dimensions and multiple expressions.

Second (the bigger issue), QV seems to show all dates for each week as dimension value, not only the dates that are linked to that week.

You see what I mean if you select say 2 weeks. No idea why QV does it this way, but it seems to work this way, I remember also some other posts here that described some similar problems (and noone came up with a clean solution, AFAIR).

I personally can only suggest some modifications to your app, having still only one dimension and showing the week number in a different way (as part of the text on axis). See attached for my suggestions.

Regards,

Stefan

pennetzdorfer
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hey Stefan,

okay, a bit weird though (bug?).

I like your workarounds, thanks a lot for your efforts!!

Regards,

Florian

Not applicable

Hi Stefan,

I'm having a similar issue.. However, it is not possible for me to open this file since i'm using a personal edition

Would it be possible for you to tell me your approach right here in the forum..? I'll try to work my way around it..

Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks

Not applicable

Hi Stefan,

I'm having a similar issue.. However, it is not possible for me to open this file since i'm using a personal edition

Would it be possible for you to tell me your approach right here in the forum..? I'll try to work my way around it..

Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The data model contains a Date, Weekday and Week field.

I used Date as dimension, three expressions for the stacked bar chart (display option bars) and one expression

=if(Weekday<>'Mo', Weekday,Week)

with display option text on axis.

Text format was set to

=if(Weekday='Mo','<B>')

and text color to

=rgb(100,100,100)

(in expression attributes for the text on axis expression).

So for each Monday, a bold week number is displayed on axis, for all other days, the weekday.

I think that's all.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable

Works for me Stefan.. Thanks a million!