Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QlikView Desktop starts but nothing is displayed on screen

Hi there,

I've got a problem on a Windows 2008 server where double clicking the QlikView icon causes QlikView to start correctly (it appears in Task Manager as qv.exe) but nothing appears on the screen.  As well as not opening up it also does not appear on the Task Bar or in the icons when doing an Alt+Tab through open applications.

The server was set up by a third party, so I don't know all the ins and outs of any hardening that has been done on it.  It already had QV10 server installed on it, and I installed QlikView desktop.  It worked the first couple of times I tried to open it, but has not since.  I have only seen the problem manifest itself through Remote Desktop - but the IT support guy who built the server said he can reproduce the error via some other remote access software.

Has anyone else seen this issue and know how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance....

Steve

27 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue today. With the help of this thread (thank you all) I solved the issues by deleting the settings file. However I wish to have my old setting back, so  I tried to copy all content of the old settings file (which I saved ofcourse). That fails, but after deleting the last part of the file:

[Module Checksums Safe]

***Original Data Replaced with Asterixes*********************************************************************************

[Launch Apps Always]

app0=http://demo.qlik.com

app1=http://community.qlik.com/thread/38461

[Module Checksums System]

***Original Data Replaced with Asterixes*********************************************************************************

[Script Checksums Accepted]

It was working again.

shelvinpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Steve,

I have updated Qlikview server from v10 SR3 to SR5 for one of my client and I had exactly same issue.  They have two servers - 2003 64-bit and 2008 64-bit and Qlikview desktop client is installed on both and QV server is on 2008 server.

The issue was only appearing for the service account profile which runs QV services and I upgraded them as me logged in where I don't have any issue.  Both accounts are local administrtor on both the servers.  For 2003, I have simply moved settings.ini and open QV client then move back settings.ini which has resolved the issue.  It didn't work in 2008 so moved original file and then try copying each section separately to find offending line.  At the end it worked by deleting below line, just above [Authentication] section.

Utf8FileDlgPathSaveDoc=C:\Users\service_qlikview-02\Desktop

In short, quite a few users have this issue and easiest solution is to delete that file or trial and error method.  In that case, have you followed up with QlikTech to identify underlying issue so that we can have fix in future version?  It wasn't certainly in SR3 but seems to be appearing in SR4 and SR5.  If haven't escalated then let me know so I can raise a call with them to investigate further.

Thanks, Shelvin

shelvinpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi All,

Does everyone has this issue disappeared permanently?  As per my previous response, I do some reloads via batch job which are schedule on Windows tasks.  They work for certain period of time then suddenly this symptom appears.  I have three hourly jobs on one server and one job runs without any issue every hour but other two stop after sometime and having lots of QV.exe running in task manager, adding it every hour.  I have manually stops all of them, delete setting.ini and enter license key to resolve it.  Not ideal.

Also worth mentioning that, if I copy same reload command from batch job in to Start > Run, it works (as same user logged in).  As a test, I have not changed windows schedule task to run as me instead of service account to see if it makes any differrent.  Although I have monitor it for atleaset 1-2 days as with service account, it has run continues for 1-2 days sometime.

Thanks, Shelvin

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

I've upgraded one of the clients where I saw this problem to QV11 SR2 and the problem has not re-occurred.  The other I no longer need to connect to via RDP, so the problem has gone away.  I will post back if the problem does re-appear with QV11 - but it would appear that this is a workable solution.

- Steve

shelvinpatel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Steve,

My client is running v10 SR5 and I have had issue reappeared even after deleting setting.ini as well as QlikTech folder.  I was on call with QlikTech and they said that this issue was resolved in SR5 so they would like to see it which I couldn't replicate at that time.  I tried several time since then but couldn't replicate.  But it does appear via running Qlikview reloading using batch file which is schedule on windows task scheduler.  Some tasks runs every hour and if I login after 24 hours, I always find server instance of QV.exe running with no activity, that means it has tried to open the document for reloading but failed.

Interesting, I have changed one of task to run as me instead of service account which is reloading every hour since Sunday without any issue.  Both logins are administrator on the server.

Thanks, Shelvin

rob_greene
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi all,

I have had this problem in similar environment but I am using Svr 2003, QV v10 SR5. Here is what I did to fix.

End process QV.exe under your user name in task manager so you have none showing, there may be a few to end.

Rename the following file to keep it, eg Settings.ini-old

I found mine here but it may be in a different location.

C:\Document and Settings\<Your Name here>\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView\Settings.ini

Restart Qlikview and the system will to create a new Settings.ini file

You will need to re-input your licence and settings like user preferences if you change them from the standard.

Hope this helps, and I am waiting to see if it comes back again.

Thanks all for contributing.

Regards

Rob

mongolu
Creator
Creator

Do you still get that problem when  Qlikview reloading using batch file which is schedule on windows task scheduler ?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Hi there,

I've not seen it for some time now.  I think it went away with a more recent service pack of QlikView server.

- Steve