Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ETL in Qlikview?

Hi All,

Can some one please explain and share their thought about ETL in QlikView?

Thanks,

Attitude

5 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

That's a pretty broad question!!

To give a broad answer - my belief is that QlikView provides far superior ETL capabilities to standard databases. With proper use of QVD files and assuming that QV is the only BI tool you will use, I have found that a transformed data warehouse is not needed.

The main difference is that the ETL in QlikView need not aggregate the data as - until you get into many hundreds of millions of rows with many users - it is perfectly capable of building aggregated charts and tables from the transactional data on the fly.  Even if you need aggregated data to improve performance, this is very easy to do.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello At titude ... you may find this post interesting.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2831 - expressor QlikView Integration

Extract Transform and Load - by themselves are broad terms.

For example: What is it you want to Extract, how is to be Transformed, and where does it need to be Loaded to (or streamed to)? - These initial questions spawn numerous questions which can get out of control if not properly managed or carefully planned. Oh and don't forget, that there is always the question if the data needs to be cleansed and consolidated.

The greater answer is that it always depends on the application, the data, the users and the questions that need to be answerd by those users. Then there is: how quickly are you able to get those answers, and who is it you have to rely on to prepare the systems to give you those answers?

Scripting and expression building can suffice, but there might be some other level of advanced integration that cannot be achieved, which then requires a complimentary solution that can.

Believe me, I am not a fan of the "well, it depends" answer - but unfortunately when it comes to Business Discovery there is more than one answer surrounding "ETL"

expressor has innovated a great way to combine simplified data integration with simplified business discovery by introducing QlikView integration in to its Data Integration platform.

Check out the above link and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo

Technology Evangelist

expressor software

@mtarallo

http://community.expressor-software.com/blogs/mtarallo/

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jason and Micheal! Your answer was helpful...

Not applicable
Author

Michael congrats on the Expressor acquisition by QlikView. I am excited by the possibilities. And I strongly believe, QlikView can now be used as an ETL tool easily, making it as a cost and performance efficient ETL tool. Have had some experience in doing the same in a few customers.

In my recent book "QlikView for Enterprises" I devoted two full chapters on ETL with QlikView.

All we require are:

1. A proper metadata management, which I think will be improved by Expressor integration.

2. A good way to push data into other data stores - apart from QVDs. Hope some solution comes along quickly to address this need.

etl_tools
Creator
Creator

As alternative you may consider using our ETL-Tools QlikView connector. It works directly with 23 datasources has more than 300 data tranformation and validation functions plus it has powerfull GUI which makes it it easy to  design complex data tranformations even for new user.

The trial has no limitations and can be dowlaoded today

http://www.etl-tools.com/etl-tools/qlikview-connector/overview.html

We are constantly adding new functions and datasources

Mike