Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator

QVS Cluster Issue

We just added a 2nd QVserver to our environment for the purpose of load balancing documents for users. We're using the native QV clustering and are not running IIS. We use the IE Plugin.

Scenario:

Server1 - QVS - QVWS - Management

Server2 - QVS

Server3 - QDS

Server1 and Server2 are setup to Cluster. Upon setup we found all was working except that some users were getting an error in IE referring to (iis_authenticate ..... QVSTunnel.dll%3Fhost%3DServer2)

We opened a case with QlikTech which at one point they had us add a "Link Machine Name" in the cluster setup. This stopped the user errors .... however now all users are connecting to server1. Even though in the web logs it shows a descision is being made to load balance to server2 the document is being loaded on server1.

Caviat: the name that we entered in for "Link Machine Name" is a DNS name that resolves to server1.

Ports are open and server1 and server2 respond on port 4747. We are not tunneling.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

Issue resolved by adding the 2nd server in the cluster to Trusted Sites. See MS KB934366

support.microsoft.com/kb/934366

View solution in original post

18 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Can you check the QVWS config file and see if both servers are being referenced there?

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Dan. Here's the reference:  

<AddCluster>

<Name>QVCluster</Name>

<LoadBalancing>LoadedDocument</LoadBalancing>

<AlwaysTunnel>False</AlwaysTunnel>

<AddQvs>

<Machine>Server1</Machine>

<Port>4747</Port>

<LinkMachineName>DNSName</LinkMachineName>

<Weight>1</Weight>

</AddQvs>

<AddQvs>

<Machine>Server2</Machine>

<Port>4747</Port>

<LinkMachineName>DNSName</LinkMachineName>

<Weight>1</Weight>

</AddQvs>

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Both servers should point to different locations not to the same, I think you should insist with support.

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks again. I just called QlikTech after over 24 hours of not hearing anything and found out that I'm not going to hear anything until Tuesday. So. I could not find any significant documentation on the Link Machine Name and what it does and how it works. Our servers and customers are all internal.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I don't think it applies in your case, at least what the documentation says is that it would be used for external users.

- The users having problems were always the same ones or was this more like a random issue? Did you make sure all the users were not going through a proxy to get to eiher qlikview server?

- Did you tried the same thing with ajax? were you getting problems there as well?

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

It's pretty consistant but not all users for some reason. There is no proxy involved. Interestingly if I choose Ajax zero footprint from the Access Point I do not have any trouble. I have updated my QlikTech case with this info.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Are you using DNS names or IP Addresses? you should try changing that.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

The link machine name is used for the Plugin Client. It should be the FQN for the server.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator
Author

Dan - We're using the DNS names. I would prefer to remove the Link Machine Name as the clustering works fine without this in my environment however I get the QVSTunnel.dll error when some clients connect the Server2.

Bill - Should it be the FQN for the Access Point or the QlikView Server?