Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equivalent of RANK() OVER in QlikView

Hi,

I have a large dataset of ratings, and I need to rank the latest ratings - 90% of the dataset can be ranked by MAX(RATINGID), but 10% of the dataset has a more recent RATINGDATE, where the corresponding RATINGID is not the MAX(RATINGID). For example, the latest ratings in the dataset below are the ones with a RATINGDATE of 06/09/2011 - however, the RATINGID for the ratings dated 06/09/2010 is greater, so this is what MAX(RATINGID) would return, which in this case, is incorrect - I want to rank the ratings dated 06/09/2011.

In PL/SQL, this could be achieved with a statement like this, and I would like the equivalent for this in QlikView:

RANK()OVER (PARTITION BY RTNG_TYP ORDER BY RTNG_DT DESC, RTNG_ID DESC)

I am currently ranking the data like this, but in the case of the above dataset, this code returns the ratings for 06/09/2010, which is incorrect, although this code works for 90% of the entire dataset:

LOAD 1 as CF_RNK,

max(RATINGID) as RATINGID,

RATINGTYPEDESCRIPTION

RESIDENT CF_RATINGS_SLICE

GROUP BY ISSUERID,RATINGTYPEDESCRIPTION;

So how can I achieve a solution for both scenarios in QlikView? I need a way to determine which is the correct RATINGID to rank - the MAX(RATINGID) or the RATINGID with the MAX(RATINGDATE)?

I would also need to retain the grouping by ISSUERID and RATINGTYPEDESCRIPTION, so a solution that allows me to retain the use of GROUP BY would be ideal.

Many thanks,

VB

5 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi VB,

I'm not sure if I have clearly understood. Let me make sure...

You wanted to Rank by RATINGID but you wanted to first rank where RATINGDATE = 06/09/2011

And then you wanted to Rank based on RATINGID, I'm assuming all this in Desc order. Is this right? Also, please can you post some sample data in QVW file or excel file showing the output rank numbers? It will be easy to work with something where we know the output.

Thanks,

DV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your response DV - you have a pretty clear understanding of the problem.

For 90% of my dataset, the MAX(RATINGID) correctly returns the latest rating; however, for the other 10%, the MAX(RATINGID) does not represent the latest rating - so, to cover both cases, the MAX(RATINGDATE) should be used first, followed by the MAX(RATINGID) - below is the load script code I am currently using to define a rank within the dataset - the ability to return the MAX(RATINGDATE) followed by the MAX(RATINGID) within a query such as the one below would be ideal:

CFRATINGSRANK:

LEFT JOIN (CF_RATINGS_SLICE)

LOAD 1 as CF_RNK,

max(RATINGID) as RATINGID,

RATINGTYPEDESCRIPTION

RESIDENT CF_RATINGS_SLICE

BY ISSUERID,RATINGTYPEDESCRIPTION

ORDER BY RATINGDATE desc,RATINGID desc;

Below is the dataset that is returned for one of the issuers in question - in this case, the data is incorrect, because there are more recent ratings than 06/09/2010:

Below is the data for the same ISSUERID within the Oracle database, showing that the latest ratings are actually dated '09/06/2011' - however, the RTNG_ID values for these ratings are lower than the RTNG_ID values for the ratings dated '09/06/2010', so this is why in QlikView, MAX(RATINGID) returns the ratings dated '09/06/2010':

Oracle allows you to define a rank by partitioning the data by a series of fields, e.g.:

RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY grp_id ORDER BY ratingdate DESC, rtng_id DESC) rank1

I would like the equivalent of the Oracle RANK() statement in QlikView.

Many thanks,

VB

nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III

You can use

If(Previous(Group) = Group, Peek('Rank') +1, 1) As Rank

But you need to sort the value by the fields first. Works with more than 1 field in the window

Data:

Load

1 As Rank

inline

[Id, Group, Date

1, A, 01/01/2010

2, A, 02/01/2010

3, A, 04/01/2010

4, A, 10/01/2010

5, B, 01/01/2009

6, B, 01/02/2010

7, B, 01/03/2011

8, C, 01/01/2010

9, C, 01/02/2010

10, D, 06/06/2010

11, D, 02/02/2010

12, D, 05/05/2010

13, D, 03/03/2010

14, D, 04/04/2010];

Fact:

Noconcatenate Load

Id,

Group,

Date,

If(Previous(Group) = Group, Peek('Rank') +1, 1) As Rank

resident Data

order by Group, Date;

Drop table Data;

vishkr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the neat solution . I tried this

CLASSTEST:

LOAD * INLINE
[ Class , Subject , StudentID, Marks
1 , 1, 1, 90
1 , 1, 2, 80
1 , 1 , 3, 85
1, 2 , 1 , 77
1, 2, 2 , 88
1, 2, 3 , 66
1 , 3 , 1 , 55
1 , 3 , 2 , 77
1 , 3 , 3 , 88
]
;

TEMPCLASSTESTSORTED:

NoConcatenate LOAD

* , 1

as Subrank
RESIDENT CLASSTEST
ORDER BY Class, Subject , Marks desc;

drop

table

CLASSTEST;

FACTCLASSTEST:
NoConcatenate LOAD Class
Subject
StudentID
Marks
if (Previous(Subject) = Subject , Peek('Subrank')+1 , 1) as subjectRank
resident TEMPCLASSTESTSORTED;

drop table TEMPCLASSTESTSORTED;

This only brings up Rank 1 and subsequent ones fail ? Any ideas ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Your sentence it is not correct.

if (Previous(Subject) = Subject , Peek('Subrank subjectRank')+1 , 1) as subjectRank

Kind regards!