Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know how to use Google Charts (not Maps) in an extension?

Hi !

Anyone know how to use Google Charts (not Maps) in an extension?  On the Google Developer site, all the examples seem to pull in the Google Javascript code in the head section of an html document.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that isn't possible here since QlikView controls what goes in the head section, and the Javascript for our extension goes in the body section.  Anyone know how to get around this issue?  I've found some tantalizingly close solutions for Google Maps using a callback but none for Google Charts.  I'm hoping there's a very simple solution!

Thanks !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErikWetterberg

Hi,

You could do something like this....

Qva.LoadScript("http://www.google.com/jsapi?callback=loadGoogleCoreChart", function(){

});

function loadGoogleCoreChart(){

google.load('visualization', '1', {

packages: ['corechart'],

callback: googleCoreChartLoaded

});

}

function googleCoreChartLoaded(){

Qva.AddExtension('MyExtension', function(){

//your extension code here.....

}

}

Erik

View solution in original post

12 Replies
ErikWetterberg

Hi,

You could do something like this....

Qva.LoadScript("http://www.google.com/jsapi?callback=loadGoogleCoreChart", function(){

});

function loadGoogleCoreChart(){

google.load('visualization', '1', {

packages: ['corechart'],

callback: googleCoreChartLoaded

});

}

function googleCoreChartLoaded(){

Qva.AddExtension('MyExtension', function(){

//your extension code here.....

}

}

Erik

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Wow Thanks Erik !!!  We were able to get the Google Pie Chart visualization working in a QlikView extension

ErikWetterberg

Glad it helped. Is the extensions something you would be willing to share??

Erik

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Well there's nothing really proprietary in it so I should be able to...I'll double check just to be sure.

Thanks again !

brindlogcool
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Eric,

Is it possible to use this code(to access google charts API) in the text box object .So that i will be able to show the google charts in IE plugin as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here's the Google Pie Chart Extension as requested by Erik !!!  Enjoy

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

@bringlogcool

Sorry, extensions are ajax-client only. However Google do have their static chart API that you can leverage from IE Plugin if you like.

You pass a url to google and get a chart back.

Have a look at "What's new in QV11" in the Sales Overlap tab for a sample implementation.

http://eu.demo.qlik.com/QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=qvdocs/Whats%20New%20in%20QlikView11.qvw

brindlogcool
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Alexander ,

Thanks for your response. I agree with you. Since there are places where we cant use the Ajax client so we need to go with IE plugin we are loosing the additional functionality. I aggre since IE is activex or dll component and Ajax is HTML so extensions are supported in Ajax.

There should be other options for these integerations in IE plugin. It could be great.

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Personal opinion incoming - Not associated with QlikTech.

Or we could scrap the IE-plugin completly. It's 2012 and having browser specific software is not a long term solution. In the age where users are taking more and more responsibility of their own IT-consumption in the business world forcing them to use a specific browser is not something we should endorse.

Not to mention that if we can eliminate any moving parts on the client side we can reduce support requests.

As you can guess I'm a vivid supporter of the AJAX-client and I can't belive any IT department are willing to introduce even more acticeX components in their environment.