Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

QlikView Desktop starts but nothing is displayed on screen

Hi there,

I've got a problem on a Windows 2008 server where double clicking the QlikView icon causes QlikView to start correctly (it appears in Task Manager as qv.exe) but nothing appears on the screen.  As well as not opening up it also does not appear on the Task Bar or in the icons when doing an Alt+Tab through open applications.

The server was set up by a third party, so I don't know all the ins and outs of any hardening that has been done on it.  It already had QV10 server installed on it, and I installed QlikView desktop.  It worked the first couple of times I tried to open it, but has not since.  I have only seen the problem manifest itself through Remote Desktop - but the IT support guy who built the server said he can reproduce the error via some other remote access software.

Has anyone else seen this issue and know how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance....

Steve

27 Replies
Not applicable

The above solution works for me the very first time after I delete the Qliktech folder underneath \AppData\Roaming.  I do not have a Qliktech folder underneath the Local folder.

The Desktop only opens that first initial time.  After that the Qliktech folder with the settings.ini file is regenerated and I encounter the same issue.  I have to delete the Qliktech folder every time I want to open Qlikview Desktop.

Any other thoughts that might help?

Thanks,

David

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

The response came back from QlikTech support with the following:

Description

QlikView Desktop installed but no shortcuts or icon are shown, starting the exe file renders:

An hourglass and nothing else

Task running in Windows Task Manager

Resolution   Two possibilities of solving this:

Run as administartor

Rightclick on exe file and 'Run as administrator'

Relocate or delete settings.ini

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView (Windows 2008 Server, Windows 7)

(Windows 2003 Server)

If running as Administrator is part of the solution it may be that un-installing the Desktop and installing as Administrator may also have a positive effect.

- Steve

Not applicable

Hi,

I have just started getting this same problem, but running on my non-server XP 32-bit desktop.  The software has been fine on here for months, but has just started doing this - i.e. starting up, appearing in the task manager as qv.exe (using around 10MB) and then nothing.

I've cleared everything in the Application Data\QlikTech directory.  A new settings.ini is created when it starts, but nothing else happens.  No CPU activity either.

I'm using QV10 SR4.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

bullish35
Creator II
Creator II

Hello Nick,

Did you delete each "...\QlikTech" directory itself? I set aside my 'Themes' folder, and I will try to place the individual themes back into the newly re-created Themes folder. However, everything else was deleted along with the QlikTech folder.

Good luck,

Ellen

bullish35
Creator II
Creator II

Worked perfectly for me! Thanks.

bullish35
Creator II
Creator II

Worked perfectly for me! Thanks.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

An update after being able to connect to the machine where I had the issue.  It is only the file Setttings.ini that needs to be deleted - but this contains quite a bit of useful information about user history etc., so it is a pain to have to lose it.

I have subsequently come across the same problem on another similar implementation, QV10 SR4 via Remote Desktop.  The same solution worked okay there also.  However, in both instances the problem seems to re-occur and needs the ini file removing again.

I have noted that whilst there is a qv.exe open on the task manager it is sometimes impossible to delete the settings.ini file - implying that qv.exe is holding a file lock on it.  My assumption is that the entire problem is down to the QV.exe that is trying to be opened can not write the settings file and so decides not to open properly.  This makes sense as the ini file is managing the licence information.

The behaviour is sub-optimal though - and I will try and chase with QlikTech whether this is an issue they are looking to resolve.

Steve

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/

tanelry
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Just ran into the same problem with QV10_SR4 and found this thread via google.

As suggested by Steve above, deleting Settings.ini file will fix the problem, but in my case took me back to Personal Edition. So, after starting up you need to re-enter license.

Seems that more specifically the problem is [Authentication] block in the Settigs.ini file.

Knowing that, you can fix the ini file without losing the old settings.

This is what I did:

In short, I backup the Settings.ini file before deleting, then after QV generated new one I copied the new [Authentication] info into the old ini file and moved it back.

Step-by-step :

Kill all "qv.exe" processes from Task Manager.

Set Windows folder options to show hidden files.

Go to folder C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView

Move Settings.ini file to somewhere else, like desktop.

Start Qlikview and enter the license. Close Qlikview.

Open the newly generated Settings.ini file in folder C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView

Copy the rows below, full [Authentication] block:

[Authentication]

Serial=

Organization=

Name=

Check=

LastLefUpdateAttemptDate=

Close the new Settings.ini and paste these rows (replace) into the old Settings.ini.

Move the old Settings.ini back into the original folder.

Not applicable

Hi Steve, hi all,

I am experiencing this problem since last week.

The solution in my case it was clear the key [UserfilesLocation] in the settings.ini file.

Best regards.

Gabriel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue today. With the help of this thread (thank you all) I solved the issues by deleting the settings file. However I wish to have my old setting back, so  I tried to copy all content of the old settings file (which I saved ofcourse). That fails, but after deleting the last part of the file:

[Module Checksums Safe]

***Original Data Replaced with Asterixes*********************************************************************************

[Launch Apps Always]

app0=http://demo.qlik.com

app1=http://community.qlik.com/thread/38461

[Module Checksums System]

***Original Data Replaced with Asterixes*********************************************************************************

[Script Checksums Accepted]

It was working again.