Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Newbie: vlookup between 2 tables on loadscript

I'm a little new at this and I've trolled the boards for a way to understand this, but I don't get it.  So thanks for any help.

In my load script, I'm going to load two xls sheets.  Table 1 will be a list of charges.  Each charge has a cost code.

in this example, Field 1 is a charge amount, and field2 is a cost code amount.

Tables 2 will be a list of the codes.

FieldA of this table will be the codes, FieldB will be some description of that code for example.

I want to add a field to Table 1 that contains the descriptors of the cost codes.

I looked into using "lookup" but that only works works for fields in the same table. 

Thanks,

H Aliyev

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Dennis's solution will work and also have the benefit of giving all CostCodes and Descriptions even if they are not present in the Charges tables.

Generally though, for this kind of lookup you would use mapping with ApplyMap(). Look it up in the F1 help but in this case you would have the following in your load script:

Map_CostCodes:

MAPPING LOAD

CostCode,

Description

FROM...;

Data:

LOAD

CostCode,   

ApplyMap('Map_CostCodes',CostCode,'<No Description>')     AS     CC_Description

FROM....;

Hope this helps,

Jason

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Try this in your load script:

Data:

Load

Code as CostCode ,                 

Charges

From Excelfile1.xls;

Join (Data)

Load

Code2 as CostCode ,        //must be the same name as above                

Descriptors

From Excelfile2.xls;

This will add the Descriptors field to your Data based on the CostCode.

Is this what you are looking for?

Good luck,

Dennis.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Dennis's solution will work and also have the benefit of giving all CostCodes and Descriptions even if they are not present in the Charges tables.

Generally though, for this kind of lookup you would use mapping with ApplyMap(). Look it up in the F1 help but in this case you would have the following in your load script:

Map_CostCodes:

MAPPING LOAD

CostCode,

Description

FROM...;

Data:

LOAD

CostCode,   

ApplyMap('Map_CostCodes',CostCode,'<No Description>')     AS     CC_Description

FROM....;

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

That's it thanks guys.