Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Real Time Server

Hi all,

I am using Qlikview Server 11 and we want to use Real Time Server to push all the modifications from database into QVW.

I looked for information on forums but I didn't find anything useful about Real Time Server

Has someone used Real Time Server? can you give me some information, documentation for it?

How to push data from database to QVW or an alternative.

An example would be a huge help.

Regards,

Adi

8 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Adrain,

My understanding of this is it is for a few fields of data and not all the database data. You have to write your own program to get the data and push it into QVS.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for response.

Then, what is Real Time Server used for?... I'm confused. It updates the modification into QVD files or directly into inmemory of the QVW?

I want to push only modification from database into my documents(qvw)... not all database.

Regards,

Adi

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

It updates the data into memory as the server is running the QVW. The data is not saved in the QVW to do that you have to do a reload. This works well with limited data updates but not with large about of data.

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Real time server allows you to make external calls to QVS to insert a record into a table within an application it is hosting in memory. As Bill said it doesn't get saved to the QVW/QVD file at all.

The real limitation is that RTS only works well with relatively small data sets. Every time a record is added to memory, QV has to calculate the relationships between the new record and all the data it is already hosting. So you can insert a very small record but if you already have billions of records in memory it takes a long time for it to calculate the relationships and insert the record. Trying to insert records faster than it can calculate the relationships and insert them creates a situation where the records get buffered and "Real Time" becomes anything but.

Matt

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for fast answer.

So...why should I buy a license for Real Time Server(which is so expensive), if I need to create another program to push data to RTS... and it doesn't save data into the QVW/QVD files and work only with small data?!

I have a big question mark.... for what is good RTS?!

PS: however can you give me a small example for "External calls"... to realize how it works with RTS.

It will be a good starting point for many developers.

Regards,

Adi

Not applicable
Author

Basically you've hit the nail on the head. It has its uses but they are very specific. In all the QV implementations I've seen/worked on I have only seen it used twice. The best was a dashboard for monitoring/planning capacity within an emergency department at a hospital and needed to know immediately if a patient was checked in at the reception.

For examples of adding, deleting and updating records in memory, take a look at the "QlikView Automation Reference.pdf" that gets installed with QV in the installation directory under the "Documentation" sub folder.

adnan_rafiq
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Dear All,

This thread is quite useful, and I have same question,

Can any one tell me that do we require any change in DB or write SQL script differently for realtime update

Regards

Not applicable
Author

This is what I find... but is useless for me, I want to select from DB and insert into in-memory data.

Dynamic Data Update provides a mechanism for making transactions with the in-memory data of

QlikView in real-time using syntax similar to SQL. The field data is updated in real-time without

running the script.

Example:

Rem Dynamic Data Update

sub Update

SET Result = ActiveDocument.DynamicUpdateCommand ("UPDATE * SET

Discount = if(Discount >= 35, 0, if (City='Stockholm', Discount + 5,

Discount + 2)) WHERE Country = 'SE'")

if Result = false then

MsgBox Result.ErrorMessage

end if

end sub

sub Insert

SET Result = ActiveDocument.DynamicUpdateCommand ("INSERT INTO *

(Country, City) VALUES (DK, Copenhagen), (NO, Oslo)")

if Result = false then

end if

end sub

sub Delete

SET Result = ActiveDocument.DynamicUpdateCommand ("DELETE FROM

CITY WHERE IsNull (Discount)")

if Result = false then

end if

end sub