Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview 11 EDX

There was a discussion about how to get EDX remote task execution feature in Qlikview 11.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2650

Author did include a lot of artifacts which explained the entire new procedure. Unfortunately some of the users were not familiar with Microsoft C# projects and they were having confusion how to make use of these tools. I tried to reply there , but the thread was closed. Intension of this post is to help users who are struggling to replace their old EDX task.

In the abovementioned post you can find an attachment called_CommandLine_v1.exe. Extract this exe to any location of your choice. You will get following files after the extraction

QMSEDX.exe.config & QMSEDX.exe.

Both of these files are essential for executing the task

Following is the syntax for using the exe file

/// Commandline call:

///     qmsedx -task=name [-qms=qmsaddress] [-password=pwd] [-variablename=vname] [-variablevalues=vvalues] [-timeout=timeout] [-pollinterval=interval] [-verbosity=verbosity]          

/// Arguments:

///     -task [REQUIRED]: The name or id of the task to execute.

///     -qms [OPTIONAL]: The address of the qms. Default is the local host.

///     -password (-pwd) [OPTIONAL]: The password required to execute the task, if set.

///     -variablename (-vn) [OPTIONAL]: The name of the variable to pass on to the task, if set.

///     -variablevalues (-vv) [OPTIONAL]: A semicolon separated list of values of the variable to pass on to the task.

///     -timeout (-to) [OPTIONAL]: How many seconds to wait for the task to finish. Default value is one minute.

///     -pollinterval (-pi) [OPTIONAL]: How often to check the status of the task. Default value is every five seconds.

///     -verbosity [OPTIONAL]: The level of output, 0-5. 0 will not produce any output and 5 is the most verbose.  

Example

I copied both these files to a server and created a .bat file with following code

C:\Users\Username\Desktop\qmsedx -task="DEV SAP BW ScriptBuilder" -password=123.

(In order to create a bat file, just write your argument in the notepad and save it with extn .bat)

Then i executed it using command line and  the task executed in my publisher. Read the whitepaper that is attached in the previous post for more information

Although the EDX task execution feature went away with 11, it is still easy to execute the task from an external system.

56 Replies
Not applicable
Author

My FeedBack :

_I had to unlock the port 4799 on the server machine (even distant machine)

_I do not need to create the 2 groups: “QlikView Management API”, “QlikView EDX” (Domain admin).

And thank you.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Great work!!

I am trying to do the similar thing. But i am not sure what is going wrong??

Getting following error:

Device is not ready.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Ruby

Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

I've spent a good amount of time searching on how to implement EDX for QlikView 11 and this post along with the whitepaper seem like the best sources of info.  However, I'm still having issues getting this to work.  I have been trying to get the following line to run from a .bat file from our QlikView Server:

E:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents\Loader\EDX\qmsedx -task="E:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents\Loader\DailySalesLoader2.qvw" -password=123

I'm getting the error "TaskNotFound".  I've taken all of the following steps to try and get around this error without any luck:

- removed all spaces from the qvw path and filename

- ensured I have QlikView Administrator privelegdes as well as having these priveledges on the document folder           and the folder the .bat file is located in

- ensured that port 4799 is open on our server

- select reload on external event in qmc with password 123

I'm at a loss as to what to do next - any help is appreciated!

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You are giving the actual document name in task :

task="E:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents\Loader\DailySalesLoader2.qvw

Instead of this give the task name used in QMC like:

-task="Reload of QVD_Loaders\task1.qvw"

Thanks,

Ruby

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Don't use the full file path in the task value. Just the "server path". For example:

- if the document is in the root folder:

task="DailySalesLoader2.qvw"

- if the document is in the mounted folder named "Loader".

task="Loader\DailySalesLoader2.qvw"

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

Ruby & Rob - 

I really appreciate the fast response.  I ended up using

-task="Loader/DailySalesLoader2.qvw"

I noticed that if you select a task in the status tab of qmc and show task details, this is the exact path/doc given under 'document'.

Thanks for the help!

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Please take a look at the usage of the qmsedx. Here I could see that you are trying to reference the qvw. The task parameter should reference the name of the task in the publisher. Not the qvw location&name .

'

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I actually do not have publisher so is this task name something I may not be seeing?  When I look in the QMC and select a task and show task details - under task details, there is a Name and Document.  When I use the Name as the task 'Reload of DialySalesLoader2.qvw', I get the TaskNotFound error returned.  When I use the Document given under task details 'Loader/DailySalesLoader2.qvw', the reload is successfully initiated. 

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

i have the same problem like bgarland :

"I've got this working via a buuton in my .QVW but it only works for me (I'm the server admin so I have full rights). It doesn't work for other users when they open the .QVW from the Accesspoint. I've added those users to the server groups QlikView EDX and QlikView Management API, but it's still no go."

His solution was:

"Got it. I just didn't have security set up on the share where the .bat file is located."

So my question is, how the security should be set. Can you explain it in more detail please?  Thank you!

Best regards,Aylin

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I have setup a solution similar to what you suggested.

We had the exact setup previously with a button, reading the parameters from a settings file on the server during the qvw load.

What I have done,

• created a VBA application  copying the QMSEDX.exe to local machine and executing of clients local machine,because QMSEDX.exe need to be executed on local machine to work.
  • Changing the parameters in the settings file on server, pointing to this xlsm instead of the http request.
  • re-using same shares as previously.

This as I'm not confortable with programming in .NET - sadly I don't have the skills - yet.