Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III

$Field question

Hello All -

I had the bright idea of creating two list boxes as an easy way to browse through the data of new dashboard projects, but I can't get it to work.

I create the first list box with $Field and the second with an expression:  =GetFieldSelections([$Field]). My thought was that I could cycle through the different fields to quickly see the values of the different fields as I was experimenting with new objects. Unfortunately, it didn't work. The second list box shows the name of the field selected in the first, but not the values of that field.

8-14-2013 9-23-44 AM.png

Should I be able to do this and I just messed up the expression? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using this as field expression in your list box:

=$(=GetFieldSelections( $Field ))

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using this as field expression in your list box:

=$(=GetFieldSelections( $Field ))

mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Perfect! Thank you!

jacekvsp
Contributor III
Contributor III

The expression from swuehl will only work with fields named without spaces. If you have fields with space in the name use:

='$(=GetFieldSelections( $Field ))'

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Mike,

I have built a data profiler that I now use on the majority of client sites that I work on.  This uses the max possible $Field - rather than relying on one being selected.

You can download my profiler from QlikCommunity here:

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-5161

You will also find a link to a blog post there which describes how the profiler has been built.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Steve

mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Steve!