Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView UI Automated Testing

Hi,

I would like to discuss concerned with QlikView UI Automated Testing in Development(QlikView Desktop).

Q1: Have you ever been thinking about automated testing for QlikView User Interface(i.e. charts, list box and etc)?

Q2: Do you think it is possible to automate the UI testing of QlikView Documents?

Q3: How do you all test the UI result during your development and maintenance process? Manully clicking on the chart and list box?

I make some investigation about this and I would like to report here for further discussion purpose.

Automated Testing Tools

• TestComplete is used by QlikTech to test QlikView while they developing QlikView. In the case study of TestComplete, QlikTech said like the following.

------------------

QlikView is very focused on user interaction and most functionality is handled from the user interface. "Our problem before we started using TestComplete was that we needed to ensure that new functionality or bug fixes didn’t affect or brake any of the old functionality. This especially applies to chart painting, as all charts are painted differently depending on the input data and code changes can affect it in an unpredictable way. TestComplete’s ability to compare images, text files and dialog objects has really helped us overcome this obstacle." (Ref:http://smartbear.com/about-us/our-customers/case-studies/qliktech-international-ab)

------------------

Q4: QlikTech said they use TestComplete for UI testing. Is it possible to use TestComplete for QlikView UI Automated Testing in Development of QlikView Documents and Applications?

Q5: Have you ever try this in your development and how was the effectiveness on Testing?

• Others proposed in QlikCommunity are as follow

------------------

1. Selenium ( Web page testing Framework)

: To test the output of documents published to an intranet via a server using the AJAX deployement

Selenium automates browsers. That's it. What you do with that power is entirely up to you. Primarily it is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that. Boring web-based administration tasks can (and should!) also be automated as well.

2. Watin (Web page testing Framework)

: To test the output of documents published to an intranet via a server using the AJAX deployement

Testing possible for the .Net languages. WatiN is developed in C# and aims to bring you an easy way to automate your tests with Internet Explorer and FireFox using .Net.

3. Adobe PDF Comparison Tool (Acrobat X Pro, Acrobat X Suite)

: Compare and highlight the differences between two versions of a PDF document

: Bookmarks each scenerio of QV and compare each version of development

4. Autoit

: Automation Tool to control Application

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting. It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes, mouse movement and window/control manipulation in order to automate tasks in a way not possible or reliable with other languages (e.g. VBScript and SendKeys). AutoIt is also very small, self-contained and will run on all versions of Windows out-of-the-box with no annoying “runtimes” required!

5. QlikView Macros

: Use Macros for test automation

: Can test only the values generated in the UI.

(Ref:http://community.qlik.com/thread/8625; http://community.qlik.com/message/41125#41125; )

------------------

Q6: Have you ever use the above tools in your development and maintenance?

Q7: Which tools do you use and how was the effectiveness on UI Testing?

Q8: Any sugguestions? Any ideas?

I am hoping forwards your opinion on this discussion.

With best regards,

Kaung Myat Tun

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I will test my app with Selenium, using a Ruby on Rails environment to help me on my tests

If i spot any problems ill report here

Not applicable
Author

Hey Tomas , Kaung ... Any luck with the tools ?

I'm also looking for some good tool to functionally validate the QlikView Reports .

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP