Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Collaborative Work on Qlikview Desktop

Hi guys

We are a team of four members that have to work in data transformation on the same server (due to confidentiality terms), we have access with two concurrent users but the client can't provide us more terminal licenses. Neither can we copy the QVD/QVW files or have a network shared unit for have a centralized repository so we're out of options as we see.

Do you know if there's a way to work in these environment?, I think of SVN repository but that implies a local copy of the files and probably the client will forbide it too

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you are doing a three tier model (Extract - Transform - Load) will the client let you take scrambled copies of the Extract QVDs off-site? Then you can write some of the transforms off line. If not scrambled copies, can you mock up data for the Extract QVDs?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

We have a three tier indeed but we have to leave the QVD's on client server as well as Extraction QVW's. We can have Transformation QVW's in our laptos but can't have local copies of the QVD's, mock up data have no impact since we can't have any copy of the data.

Another option I consider is make a traditional Database (PostreSQL perhaps) from the extracted QVD's and access it from our laptops without generating any further QVD's

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

So the client won't let you keep local copies of the QVD even if it is scrambled, but they will allow you to put the data in a local database?

-Rob

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hard to believe that a client won't provide you with the necessary access to your only (& closed) QlikView platform, although this is an ideal situation for doing some agile development. The server probably has no Terminal Server license and you have to work from the two administrator sessions.

If that's reality, and you have some flexibility in task planning and workhour scheduling, this may provide you with inspiration for a non QlikView-related solution: Divide your team into two units (an early and a late one ) and schedule their workhours like the example below. The pink area is the important one.

Only 2 seats for 4 developers.jpg

Good luck,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

I'm just looking for alternatives, I think we can create a local database (on the server) and access it through our laptops without extracting anything, in that case we have to work without local QVD's but I see no point in that so a dead end if all of us have to work at the same time.

Thanks for your answer Rob and thanks Peter too, technically we can't find any alternative so we'll keep accessing the server two at the time as we have done so far.