Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Macro and Vbscript api

Hi Experts!

I would like to know if macros and vbscript api would be in the future at qliksense? or there would be another api that we can use

thank you a lot

Fernando

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently not.

First, it is intended for the "self-service" users who in most cases not proficient in vbscript.

Second, the technology used to build Qlik Sense doesn't allow this.

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense uses web technology to achieve this type of capability through JavaScript. Check out this post for more information:

Re: Using the Mashups API

fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Thank you Josh and Michael for the answer

Another question, pivot table? would be in the future or doesnt exists any more ?

thank you a lot

Fernando

Anonymous
Not applicable

My expectation (maybe unreasonable) is that they'll implement it.  The demand is too high, Excel can do it - why not Qlik Sense.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Michael's expectation sounds legit. We are working on it.

vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi @Josh Good.

I get `Access denied` error on trying to go to this post ( http://community.qlik.com/message/521054 ). Is this post in some closed group?

Not applicable

It was the Beta Community, here is the answer:

I received some advice from Ingemar Carlo on this. The object IDs can be found using a utility that allows you to view each object singularly.

- Open the following URL http://localhost:4848/resources/single.html

- Click on the app containing the object you want

- Then click on the object that you want. You will find the object id in the URL.

I managed to get the example working as follows:

- Take the examples from the help pages, ie. mashup.js and mashup.html and put them into an IIS sub-directory on the same PC where you are running QV.Next

- The relative references to javascript and CSS files in mashup.html will no longer make sense in an IIS context, as they reference files in the QV.Next directories. So you need to add http://localhost:4848 in front of these paths.

- The references in the config to window.location.hostname and window.location.port also don’t make sense in an IIS context. Change these to “localhost” and 4848.

That should be all that is required.

vadimtsushko
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Thank you, Daniel

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Even if Qlik Sense Desktop is a locally installed application it is in reality a web application with a tiny web server all packaged up with chromium embedded framework.

Since the migration over to web you can no longer use the traditional COM-layer that was/is available in QlikView Desktop and IE-plugin.

The good news is that the communication protocol (websockets) Qlik Sense uses is completely open and something you can hook into as long as you are coding in a language that has websocket capabilities (C/C#/C++/PowerShell/JavaScript/Python/etc etc)

Qlik also provides a layer of abstraction  (an API) on top of the protocol, which can be pretty raw, in Javascript and a .net wrapper. This would be similar to the COM or macro capabilities in QlikView with the exception of being even more powerful.

Want to build a .net application that talks with the Sense Engine? Sure you can do that.
Want to build an iOS app that talks with the Sense Engine? Sure you can do that.

Automate the creation of apps and load script? Sure you can do that.

I think you get the picture

Where in QlikView you have a great COM-interface it is sadly limited to Windows. With Qlik Sense you can run your code anywhere and in whatever language you want.