Updated By:

Troy_Raney

Created date:

Apr 25, 2024 8:21:07 AM

Troy_Raney_0-1714047545101.gif

Environment

• Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows

Transcript

Hello everyone and welcome to Q&A with Qlik. Today's session is Migrating Qlik Sense Enterprise. Just to introduce myself, my name's Troy Raney. I work putting together videos and webinars like this one; and we've got an excellent expert panel for you today; we'll just go around the panel and everyone can quickly introduce themselves. Jan, why me start with you?
All right; hello everyone. I've been working for Qlik for The Last 5 Years one of my main roles at Qlik is Qlik Sense Client-Managed and I also work a lot with our Cloud customers; so that's basically the last five years for me.
Great thanks. Sebastian?
Hello, my name is Sebastian. I'm a Principal Technical Support Engineer here at Qlik; working with Qlik for four years now; my main products are Qlik Sense, QlikView, NPrinting, and a little bit of Qlik Learning.
Awesome, Mike?
Yeah, my name is Mike Dickson. I've been with Qlik for a little over eight years; primary focus is Qlik Sense Client-Managed; happy to be here to help everyone out.
Great and Nick?
Hi, my name is Nick. I'm a Technical Support Engineer with Qlik. I've been with Qlik for a little over three years now. I also primarily work with h Qliks Sense Client-Managed. I also cover a little bit of Qlik Alerting and NPrinting when they pop up.
Awesome. Okay so if you have any questions, go ahead and submit them in the Q&A tool. We've already gotten a few pre-submitted so I'll start with those first question: what is the best practice of Qlik Sense and what are the key things to take care of while migrating?
Sure. I'll look at this one. Before migrating you definitely want to ensure you have an existing backup of the environment this is key whenever doing any type of migration upgrades of your Qlik Sense environment because if you ever run into problems and I'm sure most people on this call might have and that's why you're joining this call; if you ever need to revert back you have a backup; this includes having a backup at the database; having a backup to your shared folders; anything any files that have been modified to work with your environment you want to make sure you have that; when going to planning to go to another server or environment you want to make sure you know plan ahead of what you're going to and look at all of the documentation that we have; when we have a few different articles that will be available for you; and I'll make sure that the those links are available in the chat; and migrating but you want to plan ahead you want to plan you know what you're going to go to; if you want to go to the new you know same migrating from one version to another ver the exact same version; or if you want to be migrating from the current version to an upgraded version or if you're going to be migrating to say client client manag to the Cloud there's; we have articles on all of this stuff and we also have the availability with working with Professional Services and client customers cess Engineers that can help with everyone you know step by step on the way and when you do run into problems and you know just log everything and make sure you you know reach out to the support team and we can help you lead you know go to the next step if you run into any problems but yeah there those are some of the quick quick best practices.
Great. Thank you so much and we posted a couple links into the chat for you and I'll be sharing those links along with the recording of the session as well that was a most recent Techspert Talk where Sebastian actually went through a complete demo of migrating from one environment to another and also a great article here with lots of information all those steps. Okay, next question: what are the considerations to take into account when migrating from streams to spaces? I guess we're talking about from Client-Managed to Qlik Cloud.
Let me take that one. So, if you migrate from streams to spaces in most of the cases you want to have a one to one kind of thing and Troy just opened the perfect link to explain it all we have on that link what you just see here also a mentioning of an app which you can load in your Qlik Sense On-Prem environment to get all your streams and then you can do a small selection of which stream you want to have in the Cloud if you don't want to have all you would then run a Powershell script running the Qlik Send CLI and it would put up all those spaces for you and there are a couple of other tools which then would even help with setting up the apps into those spaces which you created then you just have to play around with the permissions because they are not completely one to one with security rules On-Prem and permissions in the Cloud, but we will come to that at a later time.
Great! This is good and I've shared the link to this as well. Next question: how can we handle Custom Security rules in the Cloud?
Yeah, I can take that. One of the distinctions that's worth noting is that the Cloud doesn't have security rules, but we've got permissions and roles which do serve the same purpose so the concept is very much the same but the language around it is different and we're g to I'll drop in to the chat a few of our documentation links so that people can review that documentation at their Leisure and get a grasp of it just yeah there's an excellent example of it that Troy just brought up now.
Great just post that in there fantastic thank you okay next question: was asking I think about our Cloud Cloud environment: do you have a super reliable file storage system support for your clients? I think that was related to a Qlik Cloud, but not sure; anyone want to addressan it?
Could be related to it could be related to both you know Cloud or true you know on on Prim because you know but we Qlik does support various file storage systems you know the you just need to make sure that they you know the system The Chosen system aligns with the the your the client's security and and and reliability and performance needs, but we you know for the most part we have you know we support most systems on that.
Great. All right, next question: how can I ensure that a root admin can find his apps when migrating to a different server or host name? Do we have to assign them to a user common to both environments? And this is related to Client-Managed.
Yeah, so on that one as well if you're migrating to a another environment you're typically going to be migrating with your database that you have a backup of within the database; all of those users already have those roles assigned, and so when you restore your database to the new server or environment, all of those roles will will already be in place; so your root admin in your previous environment will still be a root admin in your new environment; everything is all that metadata is stored in the database all of the assignment of the apps will stay the same; so the main thing is to have that backup tar file of the database which you'll move to the new location, and then it just points to the exact same binary files for your app files and everything is will stay the same as far as: who owns the apps, who owns the tasks, who with this the security rules, that are in place all of that will stay the same; so you won't have to reassign any specific root admin to any users, because it already be in place.
Great, thank you.
Yeah there's maybe one thing to add on. It can always happen of course that something is not working as expected, it shouldn't be of course when you migrate the database everything should be equal, but there's an interesting trick or an interesting thing you can do when you do run into to problems. There is a security rule that you can make that basically gives you access to everything so I'll drop that link as well in the chat, so we call it the Super Admin Role. It's basically custom role that you then make for that user and then you can make sure that everything is there.
Just be careful with that rule.
Yes, making modification making modific- if you set that rule up, making modifications within the Hub and publish applications can cause problems; so be very careful with that rule.
Great, okay, next question: in another call it was said that collections are more like streams for Public Access, while spaces are used for users creating their own apps. Could you please elaborate on that the difference between Collections and spaces? Anyone want to comment? I can say that I've done a lot of work in the Cloud and Collections are very customizable ,you can set them up how ever you like and apply tags to them even and when it comes to Cloud you've got three kinds of spaces: and analytics you got your personal which is you know exactly that it's personal; there's the shared space which is very good for development because you get to collaborate and lean on all those features per collaboration like notes and bookmarks and sharing and and things;and the type of space that's really good for users to consume the data if you have the appropriate license is a Manage space and that's pretty much published apps; but you could set it up if you don't have a license to allow for managed spaces that you could set it up and create specific Collections; and just say this is the collection and it could be that they're in a shared space, but we're calling it a published area there's different ways to handle it it's all very customizable. I don't know does anybody want to add something to that?
Yeah I I the way I see it: it's a space is just a space like it's a a defined box in which you have a set of applications. Let's say you have a a department a marketing department they have their applications ;but then a collection would be something that spans across different departments so you can have a customized collection of apps that from different spaces or elements different elements it could be QVDs as well for example and that you is then your customized package of everything you have in your in your entry or your user on the tenant.
That's a good point. Okay let's move on to the next one: can we ensure certain levels of data security within our Cloud environment? We're moving from Client-Managed for example Fed ramp secure.
Yes, we can so. We do have a government Cloud in the US which is compliant with Fed Ram, State ramp and other things. I will put the link here and the chat and we have achieved this certification at least for Fed in 2022, a couple of others came then a little bit later, but it's definitely possible to get this kind of security into your system when moving to the Cloud.
Fantastic. Thank you, okay next question: for migrating Qlik Sense from Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows to Cloud is there a list of features or known issues published that shows what needs to be changed for the UI on on the UI side for visualizations? Guess it depends on what version you're migrating from.
Yeah has a that has a lot to do with if you're migrating from the latest version of Qlik Sense that's going to mirror pretty much what we have within the Qlik Sense Cloud, but if you're migrating from an very old version of Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows to Cloud there will be some differences; you'll just need to look through our release notes on the newer versions to see what kind of differences there are I guess.
Yeah and if it helps to make that a smoother transition for your users, it maybe it's good to upgrade the latest version or our newer release first, so they get used to that.
Before Migrating into Cloud, yeah.
Yes and you just mentioned you were on February 2022; so then it's definitely worse to explore February 2024 before doing that move; otherwise it might definitely look different.
But there a lot of great features with Cloud that that you should definitely check out. Okay, next question: I want to create a stream accessible to only a few root content admins hidden from others. Is that possible and what would be the best way to do that?
Yeah that's actually very possible; if we're talking to the Client-Managed, every time you create a stream you're going to create a new custom rule for that stream giving access, so if you wanted to, you could tie that to specific users and just say you know with user ID XYZ they have access; and you can also do things like hidden streams where if users don't have access to you know apps or things like that; it should be hidden, but generally you know that the streams are access granted you know based on whatever rules you set at the time, and those are adjustable after the fact as well.
Great. Okay, next question: for Client-Managed we need to migrate from old server to new servers. Currently we are a single node system and want to migrate to a multinode system. What is the recommended architecture for the multinode setup? Also how should the fire share and repository database be configured? So there's a lot to unpack there, but –
So take taking a few things; the first things first, if you want to go to multi Node; the first step is just do a single-node migration and make sure everything's up and running before you do multi-node. As far as what architecture is going to be right for you, part of that's going to be dependent upon what your demands are and what you need, you know I mean I if for for an individual; I would suggest contacting your account manager and work with them to figure out a system that works best for you, but you know having you know again if we're talking in the realm of Client-Managed; having two Standalone databases, so that you've got redundancy there; and you can have High availability is good having you know your Central, and then just a a failover central which really doesn't do anything; again gives you high you know availability; and then beyond that, it's determining you know do you know do you need dedicated proxies; do you need just proxy; you know engine nodes; do you need dedicated schedulers; and again all of that sort of dependent upon how big your system is and how how much you know do you need one to just do solely a task, or do you need fewer resources that you know your need for your overhead and can they just pull double duty or triple Duty.
Yeah I was just the keyword ‘architecture’ made me think of these this section and Qlik help.
That's a very good helpful; cause you know you; you typically want like a one node for users to consume the applications, and one node for all of the reloads to be occurring on; you don't want to you know have resource contention when you're trying to do a lot of reloads, and users access in those applications; so it all depends on how big you're planning on growing the environment too, and you know working with the account like Nick said; working with account manager working with an architect technical architect to see what you're trying to go to so that set you up for Success.
Great, thank you guys.
And there's generally like the the the maximum that we that we support or that is officially support at least 12 nodes.
Okay.
And a separate database node if if needed.
But again if you run into any limitations, just reach out to your account manager; we've made lots of - we found ways to solve every problem pretty much. Okay, next question: how do we Implement QDF structure from On-Prem to Qlik Sense SaaS?
Okay, so let me take this one. It was for a long time not really possible to do that, because there was no QDF framework for the Cloud. However, it has been developed in the meantime so there's a alpha and beta version out which you can see on GitHub; if you open the other link Troy, you see a little bit more overview things on that one so our Chief Architect has written some documentation together on how he is thinking about this; and if you have some additional questions just reach out to him here on the Community page, and he will be happy to address those questions.
Looks great, thank you for finding that so quickly. Okay, next question: oh was a follow-up to a previous one but: the root admin would be able to add themselves back into the stream if they wanted to? Correct?
Yes, by definition, root admin sort of assume to be your system admin for your Qlik Sense deployment; they are gonna have enough rights to do that if your want or your (you know, you know) what you're looking for is to have people that can't add themselves in; you can a custom role that has 90% of a root admin's abilities, but doesn't have the ability to modify streams or create you know security rules, but has access to again whatever else you need them to do, so that individual would be limited to whatever access you have, even if that's a greater amount of access than your general day-to-day users, but by by default a root admin would have the ability to add themselves to a stream.
Great, thanks. These are great questions, keep them coming. Next question: what is the best or recommended method for migrating individual Client-Manage apps to SaaS? Is there documentation for migrating apps to the Qlik Cloud?
Yeah, there certainly is; so here's one idea which we have on the help site, that is how you would distribute them from Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows. It would put up a Cloud deployment, given that you have an SLK which allows you to distribute to the Cloud. Signed License Key, yeah.
Then you can pin certain apps which you want to have in the Cloud and certain apps you can leave out; so you can select which ones you want and not and again if you need more detailed information; we can provide you some links after that panel time, but there is definitely more documentation out there; so that that is one way there are definitely also other ways of doing it, but this would be my preferred way.
Great, okay, next question: how do we go about using the GeoAnalytics server when migrating Qlik Sense from client-managed to Cloud? Not that familiar with the GeoAnalytics server, because I feel like a lot of those features have been just included into the product, but am I someone want to help me out with that?
Yeah so same thing, this is one of those ones I'm not an expert in so someone else on the panel will please correct me if I'm wrong, but from the looks of it this is most of the functionality from GeoAnalytics has been integrated to Cloud, Cloud offerings and one of the offerings is Geo Operations analytics, so it's a again a different name but serves primarily the same functions that geoanalytics did in a Client-Managed.
Yeah I feel like our R&D team has worked very hard to integrate all those features into the product, so they're all built in now; but can be a little bit confusing if you're working on the architecture side to figure out exactly how it all works, but try testing it out and see if it if it works for you. Next question: will it be possible in Qlik automation to send a tabular report by mail in XLSX format? So the NPrinting functionality, but using Qlik Automation and I know that's a fairly a relatively new feature, but I believe that it is. I don't have a tenant open right now, but I think there's actually a template for that. Has anybody tried that one out?
I have not yet.
You guys furiously Googling?
Looking into the tenant as we speak; but let's let's put this this one on-hold. We will take it back and let's just move to the next one until I –
Sure, next question: I'm migrating Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows from one server to another tonight. Okay this is good timing for you. Same version on both (good). Do I need to back up anything else other than app repository and post SQL database? Do I need certificates or anything else? I might have covered this with links, but…
I'll want, I would like to give particular attention to to the certificates for a very important reason actually; especially if there is a host name; well you you can recycle the the certificates onto the the new machine, but if there's a change of host name; it's also very important just keep in mind that the certificate, the root certificate will, based on that certificate based on the certificate, the passwords are encrypted for the, for all the connections; all the data connections, so if you have a different certificate from the install, then you they won't work anymore after the migration; so yes, do keep in mind your your certificates; and then the database, and and the the file share of course are the the most important things.
But but again in case you missed it, there is a a great demo that Sebastian went through ,and he went through all those steps and outlined the documentation and the important things there especially the certificates and even demonstrated how to troubleshoot some issues if you happen to run into them; so definitely check that out. Next question: follow up to the previous, just to confirm you recommended to do the single node to single node migration first, and then talk to an account manager about expanding to multinode architecture? Was that correct?
I believe that that's…
That's what I had suggested, you want to go from single to single first; just because that mimics what you're doing you know when you're doing the migrations; even if you're plan is to upgrade or do to go do go to multi node; the suggestion is always migrate from like to like, and then make whatever adjustments you plan to afterwards; and the adjust the discussion for talking to your account manager is just determining scaling you know; so when when your questions were about specific architecture; suggestions you know without any real information about your system. I couldn't give you specific advice about what you do and don't need.
Yeah that's great thank you. Next question: I read that distributed apps don't work with tabular reporting. Do they work on reporting Services reports? All right, distributed apps. So I guess we're talking from client to, to…
Yeah there are some limitations yeah.
I'm not that familiar with all the limitations unfortunately. Do we have any NPrinting experts with us today? I neglected to fill the panel with an NPrinting guy, but …
So one one thing for the for the old question we had it's definitely not possible yet to export it as an Excel format. So you can have an Excel format as a list for the recipients and selections you want to have to to send it out. On the second question ,with the distributed apps; I'm just going through the limitations one; so we can see if it would come up there, otherwise it might already work.
All right.
So and it still says: tabular reporting is not available for apps published or distributed from Client-Managed including multi-Cloud deployments. To use to reporting with these apps, migrate the apps to Qlik Cloud use the migration tool see the setup that was the old link which we sent already, and then manually or manually export them and reimport them to the Cloud.
So it sounds like it's a bit of a process, but it does work with Qlik Cloud; the reporting Services reports; is what you're saying?
Yeah, if you do some in between steps.
Yeah the the migrating of your old reports is always a trick.
And you can see in the limitations.
I will copy this link, limitations here we go. I'll post this link to everybody. Great, thank you for digging that up. Okay, I'm going to jump back to a couple of the questions that were pre-submitted: how can we migrate SAP report connector to Qlik Cloud? Is it even possible? Oh I don't know if we have any, do you guys know that? Was much more of a data Integrations question.
Yeah, I'm not sure about data Integrations, but as far as like client you know connectors to the Cloud; we still have the Data, the data Gateway you know; so for ODBC connectors, or you know, native connectors that aren't yet available on Cloud you know; you you've got a Client-Managed setup that has those connectors; you know a server setup with Gateway, and then the Cloud environment will have access to that data I think. I think that's the the current workaround for things which Cloud out support.
You have two other connectors the SAP BW connector and the SAP SQL connector, which are existing in the standard options to choose from the connector list, given that you have a license in the subsite to use them.
Thank you. I was thinking that there were a couple of SAP connectors built into Qlik Cloud, but as far as if those can connect to SAP reports, I'm not confident on. I'm not sure. Okay, we'll move on to the next question, and one just came in let's see: can you clarify on using 3rd-party apps like vizlib or mail and deploy with Qlik Cloud? Does Qlik Cloud support running these thirdparty apps? On Client-Managed, we have separate servers running those apps that connect in Qlik Sense. Yeah, when it comes…
Yeah…
Go for it oh…
No, as far as I'm whereare there's going to be no way to integrate vizlib or a third-party you know utility that connects with Qlik Sense for you know the the same reason you outlined; you've got a separate server that connects and runs this you know side by side, you know with a a SaaS solution you know the hardware and the the servers on our side. I'm not now again someone might correct me but I'm not aware of any way of integrating vizlib into our current Cloud SaaS Solutions.
That's you're wrong Nick. So it is possible. You…
Have to wrong…
Because they do have an online version of their extensions which you then would Link in Via your QMC and then you can use VizLib extensions in our Cloud as well. They are also supported by VizLib, so if you would have any issues, it would reach out to them first and then you take it from there, but talk to VizLib. It's definitely possible.
Yeah, I actually assisted a a customer quite some time ago, but with a significant thing there is: most of their their extensions were effectively available, but they are a different package; so it's not that you can use the same, the same package again; so you there's a specific version of the same extension then for the Cloud, and you have to install them one by one. You cannot just take can not Migrate; there's no way to migrate them.
Jan, Sebastian thanks you for teaching me on that one.
That's great, next question: will Qlik alerting be getting a newer version?
Short answer is yes. Exactly I can say, but they are definitely developing it still; so there will be a new version coming out.
Great.
I just pasted a link in the chat regarding a video using third-party visualization extensions inside of Qlik Cloud. It's part of our Qlik help YouTube videos.
That's fantastic. I'll let just share that. Great. Okay, next question: regarding managed, I'm migrating a server to an Azure VM using entra ID for single sign-on. From the SAML token I get my users AD group IDs. Is there a way I can retrieve the AD group names instead, or an addition to the IDs? It's very specific.
It's a very specific question, yes.
So most like yes; depending on how you would change your answer file; whatever you elements you need, but for this specific use case is; we usually would advise you to talk to our Professional Services guys to get some deeper insights on how this is possible. It is definitely possible so to say, but the exact setup might differ from your environment to whatever we have set up in our end; so it depends on how you have put it in the first place, and then you have to go through your XML files and change a few identities, that's it.
Okay, thanks all right next question: do you have any documentation on Qlik Sense integration with smart sheet? How does that work one way or both way from data writing and pulling point of view? I do have API token from Smart sheet. I'm not familiar with that do you guys know.
I have not worked with Smart Sheet myself. I'm assuming that's like a data connector.
So we do have a couple of community articles which says we have got it to work, but it's limit to 10,000 rows only. We do have on the Smart Sheet side a Qlik feature run through. Let me just pull it up; might be something you already know, but it wouldn't hurt to dig deeper in the community if you have a specific question to it; and then maybe those colleagues can answer.
Okay.
And here was also one with the Smart Sheet REST connector, which might help to solve something; that's an older post, but it might still work in that way.
Okay, I see Akki responding on those posts; so that’s a good source there. Great, next question: are you able to add possibility to share automation between users? Publish or something? To share an automation. Oh, that's interesting idea.
Yeah, and that would be definitely a great feature request, because as of now, it's not really possible. You could only export the Automation, and then the other user would import the same automation get it in his wouldn't see all the automations.
And if you guys aren't familiar with Qlik Ideation it's a section on Qlik Community. I believe it's under discover no support ideation; and here's where people like yourselves can recommend feature requests or improvements, and you can see the other submissions that someone else has come up with and you can vote for which ones you like, and our product management teams weigh this very heavily when it comes time to making improvements; so please check it out, and that is a great idea. Next question: in addition to automations; is there any other way to chain reload or tasks for several QVFs in Qlik Cloud?
There are different ways that's. That's definitive, but it's very very custom; there are several methods; again this for this I would also recommend to talk to a someone in Professional Services or Consulting; because it's extremely custom ,and it depends really on the current architecture, or the where where the data is coming from as well.
Okay, next question: are there any concerns with upgrading from May 2023 with patch 13 to the latest version February 2024? Any blockers or limitations we should take care of?
Can you say those numbers again, just to be sure?
Yeah they going from May 2023 to February 2024; so less than a year.
There shouldn't be, no there isn't any. We had few years ago, we had a point where there were specific changes needed, but in theory this should be a needless change.
Yeah, the only thing you should do here is to deinstall the patch first, so you go patch 13 first, and then upgrade; then you have much less problems than going with patch 13 to February 2024.
And Sebastian, correct me if I'm wrong, did May 2023 come out with, was that still on 12.5 database? Or did that have the 14.8?
That is still on the 12.5 database, correct.
So you, yes which is supported by the latest version; but if the they wanted to also upgrade their postgreSQL database from the older version to the newer version; that would be an option as well.
That's a good point.
Yeah; and that's definitely something that's recommended if you're still running 12.5 ,right?
Yep.
I'll just post this link as well, because this is some information about how to do that. There's a great tool called QPI; the people who have used it in the past the postgreSQL installer, that makes that a little bit easier for you. Next question: how can we get a license to test out the new environment before moving production to it? It's a good question.
Think the easiest ways to talk to your account manager, and to ask for a test license, and they will usually provide you with one.
It's usually like a 30-day/month trial which will you know expire, and it's limited on how many users can access the applications or professional analyzer and whatnot; but it's just for testing purposes; but yeah the account manager will be able to provide that to you.
Great and question just came in: is the Client-Manage installation still limited to 12 nodes?
That's yes, feel standing limitation for the moment.
That doesn't mean that there aren't any customers that have - there are definitely customers who have more, but it becomes harder for us to to support that in the Sense for scalability reasons; and that's why we set the limit to 12 basically; but yes, that's it's still there.
Great.
The main reason is that this is the maximum amount of numbers what we test; beyond that we haven't tested it.
It's good to understand that as well; that's why those limitations are there, because they have been tested, but perhaps it's possible. Next question; we're having trouble with the bootstrap command; it stops at “enter during main startup phase,” any suggestions?
Yeah, so if you would stop there this stage; it's usually because you have the service dispatcher either not running; so that the license service can't communicate with the repository at this time, or it is running; but whatever microservice is needed for that specific startup process is not responding to the requests; so the easiest fix usually here is to check if the license service is up and running on Port 9200; and if you don't understand why the repository is not going all the way through; you can go to see program data > Qlik Sense Log repository trace, and then you open the system log; scroll down to the end, and the last line will reveal why it doesn't start up. I can put the path into the chat as well, have easier to remember.
Sure, but I brought this up just because Sebastian does demo that in this video; he goes through the log files a bit.
Okay. A few more questions here: we're running May 2022 (so a couple years old), what's the best upgrade path to run the latest? Mike did you want to take that one?
Yeah, sure. So this one similar to one of the the first questions that were asked; make sure you have a backup of the current environment, and best practice is to (if you're able to have a separate environment before upgrading your production environment like a QA or you know Dev environment to test on) that'd be great, that's the best practice, but one of the things that you're going to be wanting to do going from May 2022 is upgrading the database as well, from potentially 9.6 which is no longer supported, but you if you installed May 2022 at that version, then it might already be on 12.5 which you can as we've already provided the link, using the QPI tool to upgrade from 9.6 or 12.5 to the latest database version is going to help out a lot get the database upgraded. Then work on after the after everything is backed up and the database is upgraded; then you can follow the instructions and work on upgrading the Qlik Sense environment as well to the latest version.
Great and there is a video demonstration of this as well down at the bottom, so it's good to check that out when it comes time to upgrade. Next question: for some reason app size in Cloud is much bigger than Enterprise one. Do you know why it could be happening? That's interesting. So it sounds like the same app On-Prem and in the Cloud, but it's taking up more space in the Cloud. I can't say that one advantage to being on Qlik Cloud is you don't have to worry so much about the architecture side that the it is a bit Dynamic and will provide the resources necessary to handle larger apps within limitations of course, but it's not such a headache anymore. But as far as why…
Yeah I'm not sure on that one, sorry.
I have seen that too, but the why I cannot answer yet. I have seen that it sometimes increase even like four times the size than what you would have as a some print on On-Prem.
But in those situations that you've seen Seb, is that a problem? All right, I suppose it always could be.
Yeah of course if it touched the the space where you would need enhance capacity to open up the app, then it is a problem; you would have extra to open the app which On-Prem just opens fine.
I would also check if there is any indexing involved, because I've seen that if that is turned on; the first time that that influence the app size as well.
Okay indexing. All right, we'll move on to the next question: after upgrading we notice that the Log Collector and OnDemand App Services are grayed out in the QMC. Any idea why? This is after an upgrade of their on-prem. I'm assuming.
I mean typically when a something is grayed out inside of the QMC, that would indicate that the user doesn't have the rights to see that location, but as far as upgrading directly to a newer version and those being grade out, and using the same user.
So saying if you're still root admin, it should not happen; then that's the time when you come to us in Support, and we can figure it out together.
Yeah I was just thinking: we need to go more detail there about what version from and what version to; and yeah; maybe there was some other factors involved there as well.
Yeah typically if if any if there's any section that's grayed out inside of the QMC, that's typically permission related; and in the security rules.
Okay.
And that typically wouldn't happen after after a simp- if you move the database, because everything inside QMC should be equal; could indicate that there's a potential bigger issue too behind.
All right next question:
Oh just a followup I was, I'm I'm not 100% sure on this; but I was just reading something where it said that: the on Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows, the reported size is the size on disk; but in SaaS, the reported size is the size of a size of the app in memory.
Oh that's interesting; so it's actually what's in RAM that's reported in Cloud.
I think that's why it might show as a larger size, because it's showing the size in memory, not the size on disk; but I I would want to verify that 100, you know for 100%; but that's - so I was just reading on something on that.
Nice. That's great, thank you; getting this error after migration: “the remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure” what should we check regarding that error? Anybody familiar with error messages? I always just Googled them, so I don't know if you guys know, but is regarding certificates.
The remote certificate is invalid according to…
Could it be like, the key wasn't included if it's invalid?
The certificate has expired, you have a wrong host name; you have no trusted Authority for that certificate in your trusted root line; or it simply doesn't match the server name you called it with; so those are a couple of options for that kind of error message.
Would you recommend they just re-export or certificates?
Yeah re –
I would regenerate new ones.
Yeah.
If you're migrating to a new server name.
Yeah, if it's the internal ones; if it is the third party, you try to map to a proxy ;for example, and they suddenly don't match. Then just open them up in the MMC console after you have imported them, and check what alternative subject names you have on the certificate to see if they support whatever URL the entry point was to your system.
Great and it looks like the last question today: when trying to export my certificates the PFX format is not a selectable option, it's grayed-out. Any idea why?
And that's a very easy to answer question. If you don't have a private key attached on your certificate; or the private key is not exportable when it got imported; then you won't be able to do a PFX certificate, which is basically exporting both the key and the certificate, you can then only export the certificate, and that limits you to CER and P7B as an option in the export window.
Okay, well thank you so much everybody for these great questions. Thank you so much to our panel for today; and thank you all for attending. We hope you enjoyed it, and hope you have a great rest of your day.
Thank you everybody.
Thank you.

Labels (1)
Contributors
Version history
Last update:
2 weeks ago
Updated by: