Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stewart_Harding
Contributor II
Contributor II

Perfomance of query with multiple joins when inserting into TSTG table _P on migration to SQL Server 2019

We recently migrated from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2019. For one of the inserts in to the _P table that is labled "Inserting Top Rows into TSTG_Entity_NAme_P for existing objects" that joins to 10 files, it is now unable to complete after 24 hours instead of 3 minutes.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stewart_Harding
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

We dropped the workaround and retested and the optimizer is now able to pick the right solution to running the query. We think this is because of the change to the housekeeping job that updates table and index statistics. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Dana_Baldwin
Support
Support

Hi @Stewart_Harding 

I would start by analyzing the objects to update the statistics as this will have an impact on how SQL Server executes statements against the tables. You might also check for index fragmentation.

It's possible that performance improvements in later service packs may help, but since the database change seems to be the trigger of the bad performance, I would start with the above.

Thanks,

Dana

Stewart_Harding
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you @Dana_Baldwin . We put in a workaround by manually changing the generated script to add an index - but this is a pain because if we regenerate the ETL Task then we have to reapply the workaround. The irony is that on legacy server the housekeeping job used to fail, now on the new server the housekeeping is working. The tasks that are done by the Housekeeping are as follows:

Command

Index Stats updated?

Column stats updated?

ALTER INDEX REORGANIZE

NO NO
ALTER INDEX <index_name>  REBUILD yes but only for stats associated with  that index NO
ALTER INDEX ALL  REBUILD yes, stats for all indexes will be updated NO
DBREINDEX (old syntax) YES YES

The above is the daily housekeeping. For the weekly housekeeping the COLUMN stats are updated.

Stewart_Harding
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I am intending to do some testing as follows:

- Check current performance after dropping the workaround

- Clear statistics and retest

I want to test whether the addition of the statistics is causing the issue. I do not fully understand how the optimiser takes account of newly created tables (the work tables that compose creates during the running of the task.)

Stewart_Harding
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

We dropped the workaround and retested and the optimizer is now able to pick the right solution to running the query. We think this is because of the change to the housekeeping job that updates table and index statistics.